BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 20 September, 2003, 18:10 GMT 19:10 UK
Scarlets crush Dragons
Scarlets 40-6 Dragons

Full-back Barry Davies races in for the Scarlets' second try against the Dragons
Scarlets (23) 40:
Selley 2, Davies,
Rees, Phillips.
Cons: Bowen 3.
Pens: Bowen 3.
Dragons (6) 6:
Jarvis 2.
Att: 2,460

The Scarlets romped into the quarter-finals of the Celtic Cup, where they will face Connacht at home, by destroying the Dragons.

Having already lost 35-11 at Stradey Park in the Celtic League a fortnight ago, the Dragons arrived determined to gain revenge.

But after home fly-half Gareth Bowen had slotted three penalties to two from opposite number Lee Jarvis, the Scarlets seized control of the game.

Wing Tal Selley began and ended the try scoring, while in between there were scores for Richard Rees on the other wing, full-back Barry Davies and substitute scrum-half Mike Phillips.

Selley started the rout after 20 minutes when Jarvis dawdled over a kick, allowing the Scarlets wing to charge down the attempted clearance and follow up to score.

Then 10 minutes later full-back Davies hit a gap at pace to make the extra man and scorch through the Dragons cover to the try line.

Bowen converted both the tries, and despite scrum-half Dale Burn getting sin-binned for stamping, the Dragons couldn't take advantage and trailed 23-6 at the break.

If the visitors had any thoughts of making a comeback they were squashed just five minutes after the restart, when Rees followed up his chip ahead to go over in the right corner.

It took the Scarlets another half-hour to add to the scoreline as the match drifted, when the sin-binning of Dragons hooker Steve Jones for a punch opened up the game.

With Mike Ruddock's side down to 14 men, the Scarlets ran in two tries in the final six minutes through replacement scrum-half Mike Phillips, who left Andy Marinos for dead with a jinking run, and Selley, who added his second.

Scarlets: Barry Davies; Tal Selley, Matthew J Watkins, Leigh Davies (capt), Richard Rees; Gareth Bowen, Dale Burn; David Maddocks, Aled Gravelle, John Davies, Vernon Cooper, Adam Jones, Chris Wyatt, Ian Boobyer, Emyr Lewis.
Replacements: Phil John, Rhys Williams, Gareth Williams, Bryn Griffiths, Mike Phillips, Ceiron Thomas, Lee Byrne.

Dragons: B Davey; N Brew, A Marinos (capt), S Winn, B Breeze; L Jarvis, R Jones; A Black, S Jones, C Anthony, I Gough, P Sidoli, S van Rensburg, J Forster, R Oakley.
Replacements: D Pattison, L Charteris, J Ringer, H Luscombe, C Warlow, B Shelbourne, K Crawford.

Referee: Nigel Williams (Wales).



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport