BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 20:18 GMT, Sunday, 4 July 2010 21:18 UK

Catalans Dragons 16-34 Wigan

Catalans (0) 16
Tries: Greenshields 2, Stacul Goals: Bosc 2

Wigan (14) 34
Tries: Richards, Riddell, Leuluai, Coley, Gleeson, Goulding Goals: Richards 5

Pat Richards
Richards' boot always kept the Dragons at bay as Wigan eased home

Wigan maintained their four-point lead at the top of Super League as they ran in six tries in the south of France.

Converted tries from Pat Richards, who also kicked a penalty, and Mark Riddell gave Wigan a 14-0 half-time lead.

They finished Catalans off with a burst of three in 10 minutes from Thomas Leuluai, Andy Coley and Martin Gleeson.

But a red card for Coley allowed their hosts a late rally, Clint Greenshields (2) and Cyril Stacul making the final scoreline look a lot more respectable.

Greenshields' brace came either side of Wigan's final try from second top scorer Darrell Goulding, who ran in his 19th of the season.

But Richards' effort ties him level again as Super League's top try scorer with Warrington's Chris Riley, who had gone past him earlier in the day to reach the 21-mark.

Richards had enjoyed his best day of the season back at the DW Stadium in February when he ran in five tries, and kicked nine goals, in Wigan's 58-0, 10-try romp against the men from Perpignan.

But, although still bottom of the table, Catalans this time made far more of a contest of it.

They had a try chalked off when only 6-0 down, kept it down to only two tries at the break and then exploited Coley's dismissal for a late, shoulder-high tackle by showing character to hit back with a late rally.

Wigan were still without Sean O'Loughlin (thigh), who was joined on the sidelines by Phil Bailey, who has a leg injury.

But Harrison Hansen was involved for the first time since suffering a shoulder injury against Hull FC on 12 March.

Sam Tomkins, again playing in the full-back role, always looked dangerous, and he started the move that culminated in Richards opening the scoring.

Catalans then came close to scoring when Dallas Johnson's touchdown was ruled out by video referee Phil Bentham for an obstruction.

Instead, Wigan scored next when sub Riddell managed to brush off four would-be tacklers to dive in to the right of the posts.

After Richards' penalty made it 14-0 at the break, just four minutes into the second half home coach Kevin Walters' team-talk went out of the window when Leuluai managed to scoot in from dummy half.

From the restart, Thomas Bosc kicked the ball out on the full and, from the resulting penalty, Coley then managed to squeeze his big frame through the smallest of gaps to drive over.

Gleeson then went in on the back of another Wigan penalty before Catalans finally managed to break their duck against Wigan for the season.

Greenshields juggled and eventually latched on to a flowing move involving Brent Sherwin and Bosc to touch down. But the visitors quickly responded, Goulding going in at the corner.

The game took a turn for the worse when Coley was sent off for a high shot on Jamal Fakir which left the French international with a mild concussion.

Tempers then flared again moments later when Olivier Elima and Leuluai nearly came to blows - and it breathed late fire into the Dragons.

Greenshields went over again with six minutes left and Bosc, who had been successful with his first two kicks, was then involved in the move that saw Stacul go over for the final score of the night.

Catalans coach Kevin Walters:
"We were still in the game at half-time. I was very confident of us putting in a good second-half performance similar to our last home game against Wakefield.

"But we got away to a poor start and they managed to complete their first six or seven sets of the half which made it difficult for us to get any ball. It was always going to be difficult when they're coming first and we're coming last, and it's tough to bridge that gap.

"We've had 10 guys sat on the sidelines tonight. To compete with the top sides in this league you need all your top players available - especially against a top side like Wigan."

Wigan coach Michael Maguire:
"We're really concentrating week to week. I don't think there is too much benefit for us to be looking too far ahead.

"We've got to keep improving and make sure that we are ready for next week's game.

"That will be another tough challenge for us as we start to run in towards the business end of the season."

Catalans Dragons: Greenshields, Stacul, Raguin, Carlaw, Vaccari, Bosc, Sherwin, Casty, McGuire, Guisset, Elima, Gossard, Johnson.
Replacements: Barthau, Fakir, Simon, A Bentley.

Wigan: S Tomkins, Goulding, Gleeson, Carmont, Richards, Deacon, Leuluai, Coley, McIlorum, Prescott, J Tomkins, Farrell, Tuson.
Replacements: Fielden, Riddell, Hansen, Mossop.

Referee: James Child (Dewsbury).

Attendance: 7,612.

Print Sponsor

see also
Hull 10-8 Catalans Dragons
25 Jun 10 |  Super League
Harlequins 12-36 Wigan
26 Jun 10 |  Super League
Wigan 58-0 Catalans Dragons
26 Feb 10 |  Super League
Rugby League on the BBC
15 Oct 10 |  Rugby League
Rugby league commentaries
03 Apr 10 |  Rugby League

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.