Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:40 GMT, Sunday, 16 November 2008

Crossmaglen 0-11 0-8 St Eunan's

Oisin McConville's reaction after the final whistle
Oisin McConville hit six points for Crossmaglen at Enniskillen

Holders Crossmaglen came from four points down to beat St Eunan's in Sunday's AIB Ulster Club semi-final.

Eunan's bossed the first half with Ross Wherrity, Conal Dunne and Rory Kavanagh all impressing and all on target as they led 0-5 to 0-1 after 21 minutes.

However, Cross cut the margin to 0-6 to 0-4 by the interval and the Armagh champions took control after the break.

Oisin McConville hit five second-half points while goalkeeper Paul Hearty made a crucial save to deny Wherrity.

St Eunan's went into the game minus the services of injured Brendan Devenney.

However, the Donegal side made light of Devenney's absence early on as Dunne, Kavanagh and Kevin Rafferty all caused trouble for the Crossmaglen defence.

Wherrity's early point was cancelled out by Tony Kernan but Dunne, Wherrity, Kavanagh and Paddy McGowan were then all on target for the Donegal side.

Eunan's still led by four (0-6 to 0-2) after 26 minutes but Crossmaglen then got a stroke of fortune when referee Joe McQuillan awarded a very contentious free, which McConville gratefully accepted.

Francie Bellew accepts his award at Enniskillen
Francie Bellew was named man-of-the-match after the game

John McEntee added a further point before the break which ensured a flattering two-point deficit for the holders.

According to Oisin McConville, Donal Murtagh was indeed a 'cross' manager at half-time and his "home truths" provoked the Armagh champions to produce a dominant second half.

Francie Bellew even popped up in the Cross attack in the second half and he went on to pick up the man-of-the-match award.

McConville hit three unanswered points to edge Cross ahead and Paul Hearty, or more accurately his backside, then produced a vital save to deny Wherrity's pointblank goal attempt.

Further scores from John McEntee and McConville helped Cross lead 0-9 to 0-7 as Eunan's on too many occasions made the mistake of taking the ball into tackles.

Eunan's thought they had received a potential lifelife when a clear Wherrity wide was initially signalled as a point but referee McQuillan correctly ruled out the score, after being consulted by a linesman.

McConville and Dunne swapped points in the closing stages which kept Cross ahead by two but despite the comparatively tight margin, a Eunan's comeback never looked on.

Johnny Murtagh had the final scoring say in injury-time as Cross set up a repeat of the 2006 decider against Ballinderry on 30 November.

see also
Ballinderry 0-17 0-7 Cavan Gaels
16 Nov 08 |  Gaelic Games
Crossmaglen 0-13 0-6 St Patrick's
09 Nov 08 |  Gaelic Games
Clonoe 1-8 2-10 St Eunan's
02 Nov 08 |  Gaelic Games
McGinn handed 72-week suspension
29 Oct 08 |  Gaelic Games
Clonoe 0-10 0-9 Dromore
26 Oct 08 |  Gaelic Games
Cross win 13th consecutive title
19 Oct 08 |  Gaelic Games

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.