BBC Home
Explore the BBC
watch listenBBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 26 November 2006, 16:24 GMT
Ballinderry 1-15 3-7 E Ciaran
Conleth Gilligan of Ballinderry in action against Cormac McGinley
Conleth Gilligan (left) hit eight vital points for Ballinderry
Ballinderry held off a late Errigal Ciaran rally to win Sunday's AIB Ulster Club Football semi-final replay.

Peter Canavan struck an early Errigal goal but Ballinderry hit six points in reply although Damien McDermott goal's helped level matters by the break.

Conleth Gilligan's tally of eight points proved vital for Ballinderry.

Darren Conway hit Ballinderry's goal on 37 minutes before Errigal's Pascal Canavan got a straight red card. Mark Harte's Errigal penalty came too late.

Ballinderry started without injured full-back Niall McCusker and his absence looked serious for the Derry champions early on as Errigal Ciaran hit the opening two scores with Peter Canavan goaling after an unselfish pass from McDermott.

However, the outstanding Gilligan opening the Shamrocks' account in the sixth minute and by the 20th minute the Derry side led 0-6 to 1-1 with James Conway's two points adding to Gilligan's opening four Ballinderry points.

At that stage, Enda Muldoon was dominating the midfield exchanges and he continued to be influential for the duration of the match.

Peter Loughran's 23rd-minute point ended a 19-minute scoreless period for Errigal Ciaran and the Tyrone champions were back in the lead three minutes later when McDermott finished to the net with Peter Canavan and McCrory involved in the move.

By half-time the sides were level at 2-3 to 0-9 with Gilligan, Darren Conway and James Conway adding Ballinderry scores and McCrory notching a fisted point for Errigal Ciaran.

The key period of the match was the third quarter when Ballinderry outscored Errigal by 1-4 to 0-1.

Conway's goal came six minutes before the 43rd-minute dismissal of Pascal Canavan who appeared to have got involved in an off-the-ball incident with Ballinderry's Sean Donnelly.

Peter Canavan's first point of the afternoon in the 49th minute started something of a revival for Errigal Ciaran although the Tyrone legend was well-held by the tight-marking Paul Wilson for most of the contest.

An eight-point Ballinderry advantage was reduced to four points by the time the game entered its allotted three minutes of injury-time.

Errigal Ciaran's Davy Harte then had a goal chance superbly saved by Michael Conlon but the Tyrone champions kept pressing and a foul on substitute John Kelly saw referee Pat McEneaney awarding a penalty.

Late sub Mark Harte blasted in the spot-kick to leave the minimum between the teams and there was going to be time for one more play.

However, Muldoon won the crucial kick-out and after the ball was played up field, Darren Conway popped over Ballinderry's insurance point.

Errigal C. 0-10 0-10 Ballinderry
19 Nov 06 |  Gaelic Games

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us