BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 26 March, 2005, 11:40 GMT
Omagh CBS claim MacRory triumph
Omagh captain Ronan McRory
Omagh captain Ronan McRory holds the cup aloft
Omagh CBS claimed their first outright MacRory Cup title in 31 years when they deservedly edged out St Louis Kilkeel 2-9 to 0-11 in Saturday's final replay.

Stephen Donaghy hit an early goal for Omagh although St Louis fought back to lead 0-6 to 1-2 after 18 minutes.

Omagh were probably fortunate to be on terms at the interval (1-5 to 0-8) but they got on top in the third quarter

Cahir Tierney's 40th minute goal proved the crucial score and Omagh missed four great other goal chances.

Omagh needed Donaghy's early goal to keep them in the game as St Louis were the better side in the first half.

James Colgan and Joe Ireland were winning the midfield battle early on but Omagh managed to notch scores when they got near the Kilkeel goals.

By the 18th minute, St Louis were ahead 0-6 to 1-2 but Omagh steadied and the teams were point-for-point during the remainder of the first half.

A minute after the break, Martin Clarke won a soft free which he pointed himself to put Kilkeel ahead but the talented Down minor went on to complete a frustrating afternoon which included some wayward frees.

Cathal McCarron had the first of his two great goal chances in the 35th minute but with only goalkeeper Colm Curran to beat, the Omagh man hit the woodwork.

Conor O'Donnell showed McCarron the way to finish a minute later and O'Donnell emerged as the most impressive forward on display.

Omagh CBS claimed the school's first outright MacRory title in 31 years
The Omagh squad celebrate their MacRory triumph

McCarron had his second great goal chance in the 38th minute but he unwisely elected to pass to the tightly marked Stephen Donaghy and the chance was wasted.

Perhaps crucially, Clarke missed a great chance to put St Louis a point ahead and the miss was further punished by an immediate Stephen Donaghy score for Omagh.

Within a minute, the game had changed dramatically at the other end with the previously subdued Tierney hammering the ball to the Kilkeel net.

Things went from bad to worse for Kilkeel as Clarke missed another straightforward free which would have cut Omagh's lead to a goal and once again, the Tyrone drove salt into St Louis' wounds by striking another point.

In the closing minutes with Kilkeel throwing caution to the wind, there were goal chances at both ends.

Christopher Morgan had a half-chance for Kilkeel but the superb Hugh Gallagher, who was now operating in defence for Omagh, got in a brilliant block.

A couple of Clarke frees, split by an another Omagh point, cut the CBS advantage to four points with five minutes left.

Conor O'Donnell should have eased Omagh nerves by striking a third goal with three minutes remaining but Kilkeel goalkeeper Colm Curran produced a great save.

St Louis substitute Kevin Quinn fielded the ball deep in the parallelogram in the closing minute but he was unable to get a shot in and the ball was cleared.

MacRory decider goes to a replay
17 Mar 05 |  Gaelic Games

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

ALSO IN THIS SECTION Antrim crash out of Leinster SHC
Cavan hand debuts to five players
Justin McMahon fit to face Armagh
Tyrone hit by Coney injury blow

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport