Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepagefeedback | low graphics version

You are in: In Depth: Six Nations  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather


Scotland coach Ian McGeechan
"We had the chances to win it"
 real 56k
"There was a lot of guts shown out there"
 real 56k

Wales captain Neil Jenkins
"We should have killed the game off"
 real 56k

BBC Sport Online
Highlights of Scotland v Wales
 real 56k

Saturday, 17 February, 2001, 20:14 GMT
Late Scottish surge frustrates Wales
Mark Taylor crashes over after a superb interception
Mark Taylor crashes over after a superb interception
Scotland 28-28 Wales

Wales and Scotland shared the points in a tense encounter at Murrayfield on Saturday, which left the crowd gasping for more.

Three early drop goals, four penalties and a Mark Taylor try helped Wales surge into an early lead, but the Scots hit back with three superb tries from Chris Patterson, James McLaren and Tom Smith.

Man-of-the-match Neil Jenkins proved supreme in the opening period, but Wales ultimately paid the price in the second-half for sitting on their lead.

As England found out to their cost last year, Murrayfield is as intimidating as any rugby stadium in the world, and Scotland proved their worth by overcoming a 28-16 deficit to secure an impressive draw - the first between the sides in history.

In a dazzling first-half Wales started well, no doubt an attempt to banish the nightmares caused by England's visit to the Millennium Stadium a fortnight ago.

Jenks on fire

Jenkins opened the Welsh account quickly, notching up three drop goals and three penalties to give his side a comfortable 18-6 half-time lead.

Scotland, on the other hand, looked less than impressive and when Richard Metcalfe was sin-binned for a late tackle on Scott Gibbs it looked as if Wales might run away with the game.

Tom Smith races over with just seconds to spare
Tom Smith races over with just minutes to spare
But to their credit, the Scots held on and began to work some impressive phases of play, with Logan banishing his early nerves to add two penalties and keep his side in the match.

Scotland started where they had left off after the break, but just as they began to assert some dominance disaster struck.

Despite a two-man overlap, Martin Leslie opted for a long pass, that Mark Taylor plucked out of the air to run-in underneath the posts.

It was a desperate blow for the home side and pushed Wales 25-6 ahead. But any thoughts that the game was out of their reach were quickly banished, when Patterson stunned a ragged red defence with a wonderful 40-yard try.

Logan converted to reduce the deficit to 13-25, but just as importantly it also raised the spirits of the vociferous home support.

Welsh slump

Wales momentarily lost their impetus, but Logan failed to add a further three points, after Graham Henry's men were penalised for offside.

Scotland, meanwhile, began to raise their game with Metcalfe stealing numerous Welsh balls in the line-out.

With 20 minutes to go, the Scots looked by far the better side and earned a well-deserved penalty. Logan made no mistake - taking the Scots to 16 points after a sustained attack within the Welsh 22.

Neil Jenkins was back on song for Wales
Neil Jenkins was back on song for Wales
In an undoubted blow for Wales, Howley then left the field with an apparent wrist injury, replaced by Llanelli's Rupert Moon, while Craig Quinnell came on for Ian Gough in the second-row.

Seconds later the visitors won a vital penalty when Scotland were penalised for diving over. But this time Jenkins missed.

Far from being a blow, it seemed to raise Welsh spirits as the red shirts produced a superb attacking effort, moving through eight phases of play.

The reward was yet another penalty chance for Jenkins, after Budge Poutney was penalised for diving over. Jenkins made no mistake to take the Welsh lead beyond 12 points.

But Scotland were in no mood to give up, surging towards the opposition line and forcing a consultation with the fourth referee.

Welsh defence held firm, however, though they failed seconds later when James McLaren forced his way through after a superb flat pass from Duncan Hodge.

Logan again failed with the boot, but when Tom Smith added Scotland's third, it left the home side only two points behind.

This time Hodge stepped up for the kick and when the ball sailed through the posts the home crowd raised the roof.

With 81 minutes on the clock, the matched was locked at 28-all and despite some fine play from both sides in the closing seconds, the whistle finally blew to signal at least one small piece of history; the first ever drawn match between the sides.

Teams - Scotland: Chris Paterson; Cameron Murray; James McLaren; John Leslie; Kenny Logan; Duncan Hodge; Andy Nicol (capt); Tom Smith; Gordon Bulloch; Mattie Stewart; Scott Murray; Richard Metcalfe; Martin Leslie; Jon Petrie; Budge Pountney.
Replacements: Steve Scott; Gordon McIlwham; Stuart Grimes; Jason White; Bryan Redpath; Alan Bulloch; James Craig.

Wales: Rhys Williams; Mark Jones; Mark Taylor; Scott Gibbs; Neil Jenkins; Robert Howley; Darren Morris; Robin McBryde; Dai Young (capt); Ian Gough; Andy Moore; Colin Charvis; Scott Quinnell; Martyn Williams.
Replacements: Garin Jenkins; Spencer John; Craig Quinnell; Geraint Lewis; Rupert Moon; Allan Bateman; Lee Jarvis.

See also:

17 Feb 01 |  Six Nations
Clockwatch: Scotland 28-28 Wales
17 Feb 01 |  England
England run Italians ragged
17 Feb 01 |  Six Nations
Row rages over O'Driscoll try
Links to more Six Nations stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to more Six Nations stories

^^ Back to top