Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepagefeedback | low graphics version

You are in: You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Other Sports 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 6 October, 2001, 14:05 GMT 15:05 UK
Cardiff fail to pass French test
Jamie Robinson is stopped in his tracks in Montferrand
Jamie Robinson is stopped in his tracks in Montferrand
Montferrand 37-10 Cardiff

Cardiff went down to another defeat in France as Montferrand scored five tries to a late consolation score.

After just 30 minutes the game was over for the visitors after Montferrand exposed gaps down the wings.

Montferrand wing Aurelien Rougerie came off an inside pass and held off Rhys Williams to cross for the first try.

His opposite wing and French international David Bory took a quick pass and cut inside again to add another five points away under the posts.

Jimmy Marlu took an up-and-under off Williams and had no one to stop him as he added to the early try count.

Cardiff captain David Young did not last the opening barrage. Carrying a heavily strapped ankle, he was soon replaced.

Nicky Robinson is stopped by Montferrand's Jimmy Marlu
Nicky Robinson is stopped by Montferrand's Jimmy Marlu

The Welshmen never looked like scoring a try and had to wait for a penalty from Nicky Robinson to get them on the scoreboard.

Cardiff brought on Robert Howley at half-time. But he could not rouse his side - and to add to the Welsh woes Craig Quinnell was yellow-carded for pushing David Barrier.

Worse was to follow when a long pass from Gerald Merceron found Rougerie on the right wing to score his second try.

A poor period of rugby followed, during which Cardiff could not get any control and the defenders could not hold Montferrand's New Zealand centre Tony Marsh as he sliced through from 10 metres for try number five.


But even with their European knowledge Cardiff could not step up a gear, and there was little change to the pattern of the game.

An opportunist kick ahead by Howley caught the Montferrand defence unawares, but Andrew Henry saw the ball run away from him.

Finally it was left to referee Rob Dickson to give Cardiff a chance by reducing Montferrand to 12 men for the last 10 minutes, handing out three yellow cards.

Cardiff entrenched themselves in the Montferrand 22, and after several scrums Spencer John forced himself over for a consolation score. Nicky Robinson converted to at least put Cardiff into double figures.

Montferrand: Tries: Rougerie 2, D. Bory, Marsh, J. Marlu. Cons: Merceron 2, Viars. Pens: Merceron 2.

Cardiff: Tries: John. Cons: N. Robinson. Pens: N. Robinson.

Att: 8,500

Montferrand: Jimmy Marlu; Aurelien Rougerie, Johnny N'gaumo, Tony Marsh, David Bory; Gerald Merceron, Alessandro Troncon; Laurent Gomez, Marco Caputo, Alessio Galasso, David Barrier, Eric Lecomte (capt), Tony Jaques, Olivier Magne, Elvis Vermeulen.
Reps: Bastien Siepelski, Yves Pedrosa, Christophe Dongieu, Jan Machacek, Kevin Dalzell, Raphael Chanal, Sebastien Viars.

Cardiff: Rhys Williams; Andrew Henry, Jamie Robinson, Matt Allen, Anthony Sullivan; Nick Robinson, Andy Booth; Spencer John, Andrew Lewis, David Young (capt), Craig Quinnell, John Tait, Francois Mounier, Semo Sititi, Rob Appleyard.
Reps: Kenneth Fourie, Jonathan Humphreys, Dan McShane, Emyr Lewis, Robert Howley, Pieter Muller, Paul Jones.

Referee: Rob Dickson (Scotland).

Links to more Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top