Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepagefeedback | low graphics version

You are in: You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Other Sports 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Friday, 5 October, 2001, 20:54 GMT 21:54 UK
Leinster down Falcons
Leinster proved too strong for Rob Andrew's men
Leinster proved too strong for Rob Andrew's men
Leinster 28-9 Newcastle

Leinster's maintained their 100% record in all competitions with an impressive 19 point victory over Newcastle in Donnybrook on Friday.

The match was a physical contest, but once again Leinster's pack were more than up to the task.

Newcastle and Lions fly-half Jonny Wilkinson, who kicked seven penalties against Newport last week, again did his best to assert himself on the game.

Newcastle fell away in the second half
Newcastle fell away in the second half
But his attempts to put Leinster on the back foot backfired when his deep kicks into space were promptly returned into the Newcastle 22.

The only try of the first-half came Leinster's way in first half injury time when they led by just three points.

It was manufactured by former Wallaby fly-half Nathan Spooner and had class written all over it.

Spooner's quick sidestep enabled him to find a gap inside the Newcastle 22 and his run then took him clear of the visitors cover.

Brian O'Driscoll joined the move before finally releasing winger Gordon D'Arcy into the corner just before the break.

Strong start

Leinster returned refreshed after the interval and extended their lead when Eric Miller went over on the left following a fine team effort.

But they were once more reminded of Wilkinson's threat after substantial penalties left just a converted try between the two with just under 15 minutes to go.

The Falcons were then dealt a severe blow when flanker Richard Arnold was sin binned following a high and reckless challenge on Keat Gleeson.

And the game was sealed with five minutes remaining when Leinster were awarded a penalty try after two Newcastle players had ventured offside.

As the final whistle beckoned O' Driscoll then went over in spectacular style with seconds to go after Gleeson had intercepted.

Leinster: Dempsey, D. Hickie, O'Driscoll, Horgan, Darcy, Spooner, O'Meara, Corrigan, S. Byrne, E. Byrne, Cullen, O'Kelly, Miller, Gleeson, Costello.

Replacements: Coyle, G. Hickie, Casey, Brennan, Willis, Dunne, Magro.

Newcastle: Walder, Botham, Tuigamala, May, MacLure, Wilkinson, Charlton, Peel, Makin, Graham, Grimes, Weir, Dunbar, Arnold, Lam.

Replacements: Armstrong, Stephenson, Balshen, Ward, Devonshire, Vyvyan, Taione.

Referee: D Gillet (France)

Links to more Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top