Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Wales' David Parry Jones
Match report
 real 14k

Arwel Thomas with David Parry Jones
"It would have been cruel if they'd scored at the end"
 real 14k

Man of the match Mark Taylor
"We made things difficult for ourselves"
 real 56k

banner Saturday, 14 October, 2000, 13:51 GMT 14:51 UK
Swansea win last-gasp thriller
Swansea's Arwel Thomas
Arwel Thomas: Three drop goals gave Swansea victory
Heineken Cup, Pool 2
Swansea 18-16 Stade Francais

Swansea won an incident-packed battle at St Helens, finishing just two points clear of a marauding Stade Francais side.

After an incredible 10 minutes of injury time, Stade scored a last-gasp try and Diego Dominguez had a conversion attempt which would have tied the scores.

He missed, however, and Swansea held the ball until referee Ed Morrison's final whistle.

Swansea had fly-half Arwel Thomas to thank for their victory.

He kicked three drop goals in the last twenty minutes, and contributed all of Swansea's points, to drag his team from 11-3 down into an 18-11 advantage.

Swansea played most of the second half without flanker Colin Charvis, who was sent off for a late challenge on Dominguez.

Charvis receives a two match ban and will miss the home and away games against Italian side L'Aquilla, who conceded over 90 points against Stade Francais last week.

They coped with his absence admirably, however, added determination covering their numerical disadvantage in the pack.

First half

Stade Francais had taken the lead in wet and difficult conditions at St Helens, Diego Dominguez stroking a penalty over after eight minutes.

The opening twenty minutes were largely a scrappy affair, but Garin Jenkins' sin-binning provided the French side with an opening.

Stade Francais centre Franck Comba
Comba scored Stade's first try

Given ten minutes for questioning the referee's decision, Stade Francais immediately exploited their numerical advantage.

Moving right, fly-half Dominguez gave a neat flick pass to centre Franck Comba, who scythed through the All Whites' defence to score the game's opening try.


Ten minutes later Dominguez put his side 11-0 up with another penalty, as Swansea's attacking instincts were frustrated by the French and by the conditions.

They finally got points on the board, when Arwel Thomas kicked two penalties late in the half.

Swansea's best chance of the half went begging, however, when Arwel Thomas broke the Stade defence only to send the try-scoring pass over centre Mark Taylor's head.

Second half

The second half got underway in dramatic fashion with Swansea once more guilty of squandering a gilt-edged try-scoring opportunity.

Welsh international Mark Taylor went on a storming run through mid field, breaking tackles and setting up the ruck just feet short of Stade Francais' tryline.

The resulting possession was wasted, however, as a wide pass missed all possible recipients before crossing the touchline.

Then Colin Charvis was sent off for Swansea after appearing to make a late challenge on Diego Dominguez.

The decision looked to be harsh - as contact seemed to be minimal - but Swansea picked themselves up.

Even with 14 men they appeared to cause an increasingly disorganised Stade side problems and slowly gained the advantage in terms of possession and territory.


An Arwel Thomas drop goal after 25 minutes of the second half gave Swansea the lead for the first time in the match.

Then, with just two minutes remaining of the 80, Thomas slotted another drop goal - this time from a difficult angle on the right hand side of the pitch to give Swansea a four point cushion.

Still Stade came at the All Whites, however, and Stade hooker Lambreau scored to jangle the home supporters' nerves.

Swansea held out, however, with Thomas' third drop proving the decisive score.

Scorers - Swansea: Pens: A. Thomas 3. Drop Goals: A. Thomas 3.

Scorers - Stade Francais: Tries: Comba, Landreau. Pens: Dominguez 2.

Att: 4,500


Swansea: D Weatherly, S Payne, M Taylor, S Gibbs (capt), M Robinson, A Thomas, R Jones, D Morris, G Jenkins, B Evans, T Maullin, A Moore, G Lewis, H Jenkins, C Charvis
Replacements: G Henson, C Rees, S Martens, C Wells, C Anthony, J Griffiths, D Thomas

Stade Francais: Mason, Lima, Comba, Mytton, Poulain, Dominguez, Lassucq, Marconnet, Landreau, De Villiers, Auradou, James, Moni, Pool-Jones, Juillet (capt)
Replacements: Blin, Collazo, Noriega, Williams, Tabacco, Lombard, Dominici

Referee: Ed Morrison (RFU)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Heineken Cup

For a preview of the teams and pools, select from the menu below and click go!

Kenny LoganKenny Logan
Wasps shouldn't lose at places like Swansea

Welsh-Scottish LeagueTop-flight rugby
All the action from the Welsh-Scottish League

BBC Wales ScrumV

Eddie Butler and Jonathan DaviesLive chat
Give your views on the Euro rugby action
See also:

08 Oct 00 |  Heineken Cup
Henry on the European campaign
12 Oct 00 |  Heineken Cup
Home wins vital says Humphreys
12 Oct 00 |  Heineken Cup
Newport record historic win
11 Oct 00 |  Heineken Cup
Rogers out of Heineken Cup
04 Oct 00 |  Heineken Cup
Whites wash over the Wasps
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top