Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Results &  Fixtures 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 

Around The Uk

BBC Five Live's Nigel Adderley
With a round up of the action
 real 14k

banner Tuesday, 26 September, 2000, 22:48 GMT 23:48 UK
Gillingham 2-4 Man City (agg: 3-5)
George Weah
George Weah bagged a brace
George Weah scored twice to steer Manchester City into the third round of the Worthington Cup with a 4-2 win at Gillingham, earning a 5-3 aggregate victory.

The Premiership side needed to call on all their battling qualities to get through after Andy Thomson grabbed a brace for Gillingham to take the match into extra time.

And it was City who were celebrating with Paul Dickov and Mark Kennedy scoring vital extra-time goals.

Republic of Ireland international Kennedy was an inspirational figure after coming on for Paul Ritchie after just 22 minutes.

He continually tormented the Gillingham defence after Thomson opened the scoring by skipping into the penalty area and driving a shot beyond keeper Nicky Weaver.

That put Gillingham 1-0 ahead and 2-1 up on aggregate - and things looked grim for the Premiership side.

But the visitors turned the match on its head at the start of the second half when Weah nudged a header over the line following a corner from Kennedy on the 47th minute.

Then Kennedy sent another delightful ball across the face of the penalty area and Weah tucked it home at the far post.

Gillingham refused to lie down and Thomson drew the sides level on aggregate with 10 minutes remaining after Guy Butters had headed the ball into his path.

City knew they would go through on the away goals rule if the score stayed the same throughout the extra 30 minutes.

But Dickov gave them the lead in the 113th minute when he latched onto a through-ball from Ian Bishop - and with a minute remaining Kennedy got his reward for a fine night's work with his side's fourth goal and his first of the season.

Gillingham: Bartram, Edge, Hope, Ashby, Butters, Southall, Hessenthaler, Browning, Smith, King, Thomson.
Subs: Patterson, Saunders, Pennock, Mitten, Lewis.

Manchester City: Weaver, Jobson, Ritchie, Tiatto, Wiekens, Whitley, Horlock, Crooks, Haaland, Weah, Dickov.
Subs: Kennedy, Bishop, Wright-Phillips, Granville, Wright.

Referee: R Furnandiz (Doncaster).

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

20 Sep 00 |  Worthington Cup
Manchester City 1-1 Gillingham
Links to top Worthington Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Worthington Cup stories

^^ Back to top