Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Results &  Fixtures 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 

Around The Uk

banner Tuesday, 19 September, 2000, 23:09 GMT 00:09 UK
Burnley 2-2 C Palace
Andy Payton equalised for Burnley
On a rainswept evening Burnley maintained their unbeaten home record with a 2-2 draw in their Worthington Cup second round first leg tie against Crystal Palace.

Palace built a two-goal lead with goals from Mikael Forssell and Tommy Black before sustained Burnley pressure eventually paid off and goals from Andy Cooke and an Andy Payton penalty brought a deserved equaliser.

In the first half Kevin Ball went close for Burnley in the early stages shooting at the keeper after six minutes and in the 11th minute.

In between a free-kick from Fan Zhiyi broke through the Burnley wall bringing a full-length save from Burnley's trialist goalkeeper Nik Michopoulos.

Against the run of play on 17 minutes big Burnley defender Ian Cox lost control of the ball. Jamie Pollock latched on to it and slid a perfect pass through to Forssell who rifled home past the helpless Michopoulos.


Eight minutes later the Greek goalkeeper was again in action as he pushed a Leon McKenzie shot wide. For the last quarter of the first half it was all Burnley.

A clever overhead kick from Andy Cooke was saved by goalkeeper Kolinko and soon after Graham Branch shot into the side netting.

Just after the restart Palace midfielder Tommy Black caught the Burnley defence napping with a quickly taken free kick on the edge of the box to make the score 2-0.

But the Clarets fought back with Payton volleying over the bar and Kolinko saving bravely at the centre-forward's feet.

Kolinko was something of a liability preferring to punch rather than catch and in the 66th minute he flapped at a cross and Cooke scored from close range.

On 71 minutes it happened again Cooke found the net but the ref blew for a foul.

At the other end Davis pulled down McKenzie but a soft penalty from Zhiyi was easily saved.

On 80 minutes Payton broke through but was pulled down by Craig Harrison for a penalty. Payton made no mistake to equalise with a left-foot shot.

Burnley went looking for the winner but it was Palace who came closest when Black headed against the post in the final minute.

Burnley: Michopoulos, Thomas, Briscoe, Cox, Cook, Cooke, Payton, Branch, Ball, Mullin, Davis. Subs: Crichton, Mellon, Jepson, Maylett, Lee.

Crystal Palace: Kolinko, Austin, Zhiyi, Mullins, McKenzie, Morrison, Black, Forssell, Linighan, Pollock, Harrison. Subs: Rodger, Gray, Harris, Evans, Hankin.

Referee: M Dean (The Wirral)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Worthington Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Worthington Cup stories

^^ Back to top