BBC Home
Explore the BBC
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 4 November 2006, 16:52 GMT
Hibernian 2-2 Kilmarnock
Ivan Sproule and Ryan O'Leary battle for possession at Easter Road
Hibs and Kilmarnock shared the spoils at Easter Road
New Hibernian manager John Collins had to settle for a draw after an exciting second half at Easter Road.

Kilmarnock went in front when Steven Naismith's strike was deflected into his own net by defender Shelton Martis.

Hibs then hit back with a neat finish from Michael Stewart and went ahead thanks to a fine Steven Fletcher shot.

But calamitous goalkeeper Zbigniew Malkowski gifted Naismith a headed equaliser from six yards when he failed to deal with a long throw-in.

Not for the first time this season, the Polish keeper cost his side dear as Hibs once again failed to protect a lead they had worked hard to establish.

But Kilmarnock matched the home side for long spells and will feel they deserved a share of the spoils.

Hibs midfielder Guillaume Beuzelin made his first start since suffering a cruciate ligament injury in January.

Left-back David Murphy also returned from injury and Fletcher came in to replace the suspended Chris Killen up front.

Kilmarnock brought in Ryan O'Leary and Colin Nish for the injured Garry Hay and David Fernandez.

And young O'Leary was given the difficult task of dealing with Ivan Sproule, who was providing a threat down the right flank.

The Northern Ireland international cut inside two defenders and unleashed a left-foot shot that goalkeeper Graeme Smith pushed away.

Hibs were enjoying the bulk of possession but the visitors were packing men behind the ball and defending stoutly.

On the stroke of half-time, Smith made a smart save to cut out a low, driven cross from Murphy, to deny Sproule a close range chance.

After a dull opening period, fans at Easter Road were treated to a flurry of goals early in the second half.

Kilmarnock went ahead when Naismith drove forward and his shot took a huge deflection off Martis to send the ball in the opposite direction of the diving Malkowski.

Hibs responded immediately when Sproule's effort fell kindly for Stewart, who kept a cool head to drill the ball beyond Smith.

Fletcher then gave Hibs the lead with a wonderful strike from 20 yards as the Killie defence backed off the teenage striker.

The youngster was denied a second goal when Smith raced out to block his shot after he'd been released by by a great pass from Merouane Zemmama.

And Hibs were punished after 65 minutes when Malkowski foolishly flapped at a long throw-in from Peter Leven and the ball looped to Naismith who headed home from close range.

Both sides remained committed to attack for the remainder of the game but failed to create any meaningful chances in the closing stages.

Hibernian: Malkowski, Whittaker, Martis, Jones, Murphy, Sproule, Beuzelin (Benjelloun 73), Stewart, Thomson, Fletcher, Zemmama. Subs Not Used: McNeil, Shields, Shiels, Hogg, Glass, Stevenson.

Booked: Jones. Goals: Stewart 53, Fletcher 57.

Kilmarnock: Smith, Fowler, Greer, Frazer Wright, O'Leary, Naismith, Johnston, Grant Murray, Leven, Invincibile, Nish. Subs Not Used: Combe, Ford, Dodds, Di Giacomo, Stephen Murray, Adams, Campbell.

Booked: Frazer Wright, Nish. Goals: Martis 49 og, Naismith 65.

Att: 13,510

Ref: C Richmond

Collins sees defensive weakness
04 Nov 06 |  Hibernian
Jefferies happy to take a point
04 Nov 06 |  Kilmarnock


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us