BBC Sport
BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 24 September 2005, 15:50 GMT 16:50 UK
Celtic 2-1 Inverness CT
Craig Beattie scored a double for Celtic
Craig Beattie grabbed a double as Celtic kept pace with leaders Hearts after coming back from behind to defeat Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

A mixture of poor Celtic finishing and superb goalkeeping from Mark Brown ensured a stalemate at half-time.

Dennis Wyness fired Caley Thistle into the lead after a fine move.

But Beattie slotted home after being found by Shaun Maloney and broke clear to add the winner soon after, being set up by Shunsuke Nakamura.

John Hartson had returned to the Celtic side after being rested on the bench for the midweek CIS Cup win over Falkirk.

But strike partner Maciej Zurawski was a surprise absentee from the squad.

Inverness' top-scorer, Brewster, restored himself to the side along with Ross Tokely and Stuart Golabek.

Stephen McManus and Maloney went close early on as Celtic pressed forward.

Beattie got behind the visitors' defence only to see his low strike deflected behind by the feet of goalkeeper Brown.

The Scotland striker headed down a Paul Telfer cross, but Brown did brilliantly to push his effort out.

Beattie should have scored when he was found unmarked in the box only to strike another effort straight at the goalkeeper.

Nakamura planted a cross on to the head of Chris Sutton, but the inspired Brown kept the effort out.

McManus sent a header, from a Maloney free-kick, off the crossbar.

And Celtic almost paid the price for those squandered opportunities when Wyness wriggled free in the area before unleashing a right-foot shot that Artur Boruc did well to push away.

Inverness did make them pay six minutes after the break, David Proctor flicking on Tokely's throw and Wyness nipped in ahead of his marker to coolly prod the ball under Boruc from just five yards out.

They should have increased their lead moments later, when Wyness dummied the ball for Brewster, but the player-boss missed his shot from 16 yards.

It was Celtic's turn to make Inverness pay for poor finishing when Beattie equalised, sliding the ball home after being set up by Maloney.

Referee Steve Conroy again ignored their calls for a spot-kick when Nakamura's cross struck Russell Duncan's hand.

But Beattie celebrated his second of the match when Nakamura poked the ball through and the striker took his time before steering it past Brown.

Celtic defender Adam Virgo was lucky not to concede a late penalty when the ball seemed to hit his hand in the area.

Celtic: Boruc, Telfer, Balde, McManus (Virgo 48), Camara, Maloney, Petrov, Sutton, Nakamura (Agathe 86), Beattie, Hartson.
Subs Not Used: Marshall, McGeady, Lawson, Wallace, Pearson.

Goals: Beattie 57, 67.

Inverness CT: Brown, Tokely, Dods, Munro, Morgan, Wilson (McAllister 87), Proctor, Duncan, Fox (Hart 74), Brewster (Dargo 60), Wyness.
Subs Not Used: Fraser, Parratt, Golabek, Black. Booked: Munro.

Goal: Wyness 51.

Att: 57,247

Ref: S Conroy


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

ALSO IN THIS SECTION Scottish Deadline Day as it happened
Celtic 4-1 Kilmarnock
Hearts 1-0 Dundee
Ross County 1-0 Hibernian

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport