BBC Sport
BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 11 February, 2004, 21:33 GMT
Dunfermline 1-4 Celtic
Alan Thompson celebrates with Henrik Larsson
Alan Thompson supplied both goals for Henrik Larsson
Alan Thompson scored one and set up three others as Celtic came from behind to defeat Dunfermline at East End Park.

The Pars were well worth the lead given them by Noel Hunt's header after 20 minutes.

But Thompson's corner set up Henrik Larsson for the equaliser and his free-kick teed up Stanislav Varga to head Celtic's second goal.

Larsson then added his second and Celtic's third before Thompson grabbed a goal for himself with a free-kick.

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill had named an unchanged line-up for his side's first appearance on the plastic pitch at East End Park.

Dunfermline made one change from the team involved in the abandoned Scottish Cup tie against Clyde.

Greg Shields, who had been cup-tied, returned in defence for Richard Byrne.

The Pars could have been two ahead within three minutes.

Stevie Crawford was found by an Andy Tod cross 10 yards out but hooked his volley five yards over.

Then Rab Douglas was stranded as Noel Hunt flicked on a Barry Nicholson header over the goalkeeper's head, but it slipped just wide of the far post.

Henrik Larsson latched on to a misjudged header by Tod but snatched his low drive wide from 16 yards.

John Kennedy, eventually replaced with Joos Valgaeren, was missing through injury when Dunfermline took the lead after nine minutes.

Nicholson's cross found Hunt lurking eight yards out and the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international rose above his markers to head past Douglas.

The lead only lasted three minutes, Larsson rising to meet an Alan Thompson corner to head powerfully home from 10 yards.

It was three goals in five minutes, with Varga this time hanging in the air to power home a Thompson free kick into the box.

Noel Hunt (left) celebrates after opening the scoring
Noel Hunt (left) gave Dunfermline the lead
Dunfermline's poor marking at set-pieces was exposed again after 42 minutes as Larsson rose above Thomson to head home another Thompson corner.

Andrius Skerla had to be quick to clear a Stephen Pearson drive off the line as Celtic threatened to put the result beyond doubt before the half-time whistle.

Hunt made room for himself inside the Celtic box soon after the break but could not put enough on his volley from eight yards to trouble Douglas.

Dunfermline were looking more composed but went further behind after 57 minutes.

A Thompson free kick deflected off the edge of the wall and nestled in the far corner of the net with Stillie left helpless.

Dunfermline still threatened and Douglas pulled off an excellent save to turn a powerful Crawford header over the crossbar.

Dunfermline: Stillie, Shields, Scott Wilson, Tod, Scott Thomson (Mehmet 79), Nicholson, Darren Young, Derek Young (Dempsey 68), Skerla, Crawford, Hunt.
Subs Not Used: Ruitenbeek, Byrne, Labonte. Booked: Scott Wilson.

Goal: Hunt 20.

Celtic: Douglas, McNamara, Kennedy (Valgaeren 28), Varga, Agathe, Thompson, Petrov, Lennon (Lambert 76), Pearson (Maloney 73), Larsson, Sutton.
Subs Not Used: Marshall, Beattie.

Goals: Larsson 23, Varga 26, Larsson 43, Thompson 68.

Attendance: 11,201

Referee: J Underhill

ALSO IN THIS SECTION Scottish Deadline Day as it happened
Celtic 4-1 Kilmarnock
Hearts 1-0 Dundee
Ross County 1-0 Hibernian

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport