Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 1 December, 2001, 14:42 GMT
Motherwell fail to halt Livi
Barry Wilson and Davide Xausa celebrate
Barry Wilson and Davide Xausa celebrate
Livingston 3-1 Motherwell

A first-half double by Canadian striker Davide Xausa and an own goal by Steven Hammell put Livingston on easy street against Motherwell.

The West Lothian side outclassed their opponents in the first 45 minutes and although Well improved after the break, the result was never in doubt.

A James McFadden goal 12 minutes from time proved to be nothing more than a consolation strike.

Livingston created the first clear-cut chance in the 13th minute, Motherwell keeper Mark Brown diving to save from a Xausa header following a Barry Wilson free-kick.

The home side went in front after 20 minutes courtesy of a powerful close range header from Canadian international Xausa who leapt above the visitors' defence to head home from a precise Barry Wilson cross.

Livingston outclassed Motherwell
Livingston outclassed Motherwell
Within a minute, Xausa turned provider for David Bingham who only had Brown to beat but the keeper made a great save.

Livingston did not have to wait long for the second, however, and a long ball from goalkeeper Nick Culkin was headed past Brown by Wilson who then turned to shoot from an acute angle.

Corrigan cleared off the line but straight back to Wilson and this time his shot was deflected into the net by Steven Hammell.

Motherwell keeper Brown saved his team from going 3-0 down with a great save to deny Fernandez.

In a rare attack by the visitors, Rubio cleared from Derek Adams before Keith Lasley shot narrowly past from 18 yards.

But Xausa increased Livi's lead after being gifted the ball by Corrigan and the Canadian coolly finished.

Quino shields the ball from Stephen Pearson
Quino shields the ball from Stephen Pearson
After the interval, Hammell just cleared before Wilson could head home at the back post and, from the resultant corner, Corrigan did well to powerfully clear from the danger zone.

To their credit, Motherwell were showing a lot of determination in the second period and were beginning to pose more of a danger to the Livingston defence.

But Livi nearly made it four on the break - Brown did well to save Xausa's attempt at his hat-trick.

On 78 minutes, Well substitute Twaddle sent over a free-kick and McFadden ran into the box and appeared to get the slightest of touches to the ball to send it past Culkin to give the Motherwell fans something to cheer about.

Motherwell sensed a possible way back into the game and Twaddle had a shot charge down by the wall and McFadden had a shot easily saved.

Livingston: Culkin, Brinquin, Santini, Andrews, Rubio, Quino, Lovell, Xausa, Wilson, Fernandez, Bingham.

Subs: McEwan, Toure-Maman, Aurellio, Caputo, Lowndes.

Motherwell: Brown, Corrigan, Ready, Hammell, Deloumeaux, Leitch, Lasley, Pearson, Adams, Elliott, Kelly.

Subs: Woods, Dow, Strong, Twaddle, McFadden.

Referee: H Dallas

BBC Scotland's Ken McRobb
"Another three points for Livingston"
Livingston manager Jim Leishman
"The players deserve to be in this position"
Motherwell manager Eric Black
"If we give cheap goals away we're never going to win"
Links to more Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top