Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Friday, 26 October, 2001, 17:02 GMT 18:02 UK
Celtic leave it late against Killie
Moravcik was a constant thorn in Killie's side
Moravcik was a constant thorn in Killie's side
Celtic 1-0 Kilmarnock

An injury-time goal by Joos Valgaeren from a yard out clinched the points for Celtic.

The home side had dominated for long periods but could not pierce the well-organised Kilmarnock defence.

But with five minutes of injury time indicated by the referee, Celtic sensed the game was still theirs for the taking and Valgaeren knocked Mjallby's shot over the line.

Celtic started in positive fashion and might have gone ahead in the third minute when Hartson's cross was nodded into Moravcik's path by Sutton, but the Slovakian's volley was well held by Marshall.

Marshall had to be alert again in the 10th minute when Hartson cushioned Moravcik's free kick to allow Mjallby a sight of goal, but the big defender connected poorly from only six yards out allowing Marshall to save with his legs.

Stilian Petrov holds off Alan Mahood
Stilian Petrov holds off Alan Mahood
The flow of play was largely one-way and Celtic should have gone in front after 25 minutes. Petta curled in a superb cross from the left and Sutton's glancing header beat Marshall but crept by the keeper's left-hand post.

Moravcik was causing the Kilmarnock defence a lot of problems from his position just behind the strikers and he had a fierce left-foot shot wel held by the in-form Marshall on the half-hour mark.

Kilmarnock had a couple of forays into the Celtic half, Peter Canero blasting well wide from Marshall's kick out.

They almost found themselves through on goal with Celtic caught pushing forward, but Dargo was unable to get his pass away as the half came to a close.

The start of the second half was rather scrappy and still Celtic had the lion's share of the possession and pressure.

After the hour mark, Celtic realy stepped up the pace and Moravcik's trickery took him past one challenge before Canero got back with a well-timed sliding tackle as Moravcik prepared to pull the trigger.

Jerome Vareille shields the ball from Mjallby
Jerome Vareille shields the ball from Mjallby
Petrov then produced an outstanding save from Marshall with a typically accurate free kick.

Moravcik also had Killie hearts fluttering with a long-range effort which struck the bar.

O'Neill brought on Shaun Maloney in place of Hartson in an attempt to find the vital spark required, but they continued to find it difficult to break Killie down.

Moments later and the goal almost came as Petta's free-kick found Sutton unmarked, but he could not direct it past Marshall.

The sight of the fourth official signalling five minutes of added time lifted the home support and the crucial goal arrived shortly afterwards.

Mjallby got on the end of Lennon's long ball and his effort was bundled over the line by Valgaeren from close range.

Celtic: Kharine, Tebily, Mjallby, Valgaeren, Agathe, Lambert, Petrov, Moravcik, Petta, Sutton, Hartson.

Subs: Gould, McNamara, Lennon, Maloney, Crainey.

Kilmarnock: Marshall, McGowne, Baker, Innes, Mitchell, Mahood, Sanjuan, Pizzo, Canero, Vareille, Dargo.

Subs: Meldrum, Hay, Calderon, Fowler, Di Giacomo.

Referee: D Somers

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill
"I'm delighted for the players, delighted they've won"
Kilmarnock manager Bobby Williamson
"If we work as hard as this we can give anybody a game"
See also:

27 Oct 01 |  Football
Reyna sinks Livvy
Links to more Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top