BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:56 GMT, Saturday, 12 January 2008

Morton 2-2 Gretna

Fabian Yantorno celebrates
Fabian Yantorno celebrates Gretna's opening goal against Morton

Morton and Gretna face a replay of their Scottish Cup tie following a four-goal thriller at Cappielow.

Fabian Yantorno opened the scoring for the Premier League's bottom side with a casual finish from 12 yards out.

Shortly after the half-time break, Gretna's Evan Horwood drove in a second for the visitors.

Kevin Finlayson's 64th minute shot put Morton back in the game and 10 minutes later Jim McAlistair blasted in the crucial equaliser.

Morton manager Jim McInally sent his team out in search of a Cup upset, having suffered a 6-1 defeat to Livingston only last week.

New signing Ryan McGuffie start for the First Division club against former side and Gretna boss Davie Irons brought in central defender Danny Hall from Shrewsbury in an attempt to shore up his leaky defence and avoid a shock.

Gretna were first to come close to opening the scoring when Yantorno broke into the Morton penalty area after five minutes, but his shot flew over the crossbar.

Six minutes later, Gavin Skelton capitalised on a midfield mix-up before laying off to Yantorno who slipped past David McGurn and calmly tapped the ball into the net.

Nicky Deverdics could have doubled Gretna's lead in the 19th minute, but McGurn's boot managed to keep Morton in the game.

The Ton had a penalty claim turned away in the 22nd minute when Ian Russell appeared to be felled in the box by Gretna goalkeeper Tony Caig, but referee Kenny Clark waved away the claims.

After 30 minutes McGuffie almost levelled the scores, but Caig saved from his former club-mate and was called into action again to deny McAlister's a header chance from six yards out.

On-loan Horwood, who was playing his final game for Gretna before returning to Sheffield United, found the net after 49 minutes, making it 2-0 to Gretna and appearing to end all hope for Morton.

Kenny Deuchar's knock-down was cleanly struck by the big left-back, giving McGurn no chance.

However, Morton refused to be beaten and McAlister and Millar both forced saves from Caig.

The recovery began after 64 minutes when Finlayson scored a great goal to give the First Division side a lifelin, after his swerving left-footed shot from the edge of the area stunned Gretna goalkeeper Caig and the match opened up.

With 14 minutes left on the clock, Morton finally found the equaliser when McAlister sent in a shot from 20 yards out which appeared to take a deflection on its way into the net.

Chris Millar then passed up a glorious chance to put the home team in front with just five minutes of normal time remaining, but could only crashg the ball into the side netting.

As the minutes ticked out, both teams looked for the winner, but the final whistle sounded and both sides can now prepare themselves for a replay at Fir Park.

Morton: McGurn, MacGregor, McLaughlin (Stevenson 50), Smith, Harding, Millar (Greacen 90), Finlayson, McGuffie, Weatherson, Russell, McAlistair. Subs Not Used: Robinson, Graham, MacLeod.

Goals: Finlayson 64, McAlistair 75.

Gretna: Caig, Barr, Horwood, Hall, Innes, Murray, Osman (Jenkins 72), Skelton, Deuchar, Yantorno (McGill 54), Deverdics (McLaren 78). Subs Not Used: Fleming, Canning.

Goals: Yantorno 13, Horwood 49.

Att: 2,848

Ref: K Clark

see also
Scottish Cup photo gallery
12 Jan 08 |  Scotland

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.