BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 14:17 GMT, Wednesday, 31 December 2008

Droylsden fail with FA Cup appeal

Droylsden boss Dave Pace
Droylsden boss Dave Pace had led his side to a famous victory

Droylsden have lost an appeal against their expulsion from the FA Cup after they were found guilty of fielding an ineligible player in the second round.

Sean Newton scored twice to help his side to a 2-1 win over Chesterfield.

Chesterfield asked the Football Association to intervene when they discovered Newton should have been serving a one-match ban on 23 December.

The FA confirmed the decision on Wednesday and Chesterfield will now face Ipswich on 3 January.

An FA statement said: "The FA can confirm that the appeal by Droylsden FC against their removal from this season's FA Cup was unsuccessful."

Ahead of the appeal, Droylsden manager and chairman Dave Pace told BBC Radio Manchester: "It is ludicrous as we have beaten Chesterfield fair and square on the field.

We have got to see it is a lifeline. The tie has been something of a saga but the FA have had the final word and the rules are clear-cut - you cannot field an ineligible player

Chesterfield boss Lee Richardson

"It is not as if we have brought a ringer in at the last minute. Sean Newton is one of our players.

"It was a genuine mistake by our secretary. Fine us by all means but don't kick us out."

Pace also added that he would "go to the nearest bridge" and throw himself off if Droylsden were thrown out of the Cup.

Following the rejection of Droyslden's appeal on Wednesday, Chesterfield manager Lee Richardson admitted a "lifeline" had been thrown to his side.

"We were devastated to be out of the FA Cup but now we can take this as a bonus and can go there and enjoy the day," he said.

"We have got to see it is a lifeline. The tie has been something of a saga but the FA have had the final word and the rules are clear-cut - you cannot field an ineligible player.

"Their man should have been suspended. If he had not played and scored those goals, the result could have been completely different.

"If the rules were not followed, the game would be in chaos."

Last week the FA revealed no fine would be imposed against Droylsden and the club's participation in future FA Cup competitions would not be affected.

The second-round match between the two sides was played four times.

The first and third matches were abandoned because of fog and floodlight failure, with a controversial 2-2 draw at Saltergate sandwiched in between.

The Blue Square North side had protested furiously when Jack Lester put Chesterfield 2-1 up, lobbing the keeper from a throw-in after the visitors had put the ball out of play for an injured player.

The home side then allowed Steve Halford to walk unchallenged into their half to tap the ball in for the equaliser.

In 2006, Bury were expelled from the competition for a similar offence.

In that incident, Stephen Turnbull played in Bury's second-round tie against Chester, who were reinstated and allowed through to the third round, where, by a bizarre twist, Ipswich were once again the waiting opposition.

Print Sponsor

see also
Droylsden 2-1 Chesterfield
23 Dec 08 |  FA Cup
Droylsden A-A Chesterfield
16 Dec 08 |  FA Cup
Chesterfield 2-2 Droylsden
09 Dec 08 |  FA Cup
Chesterfield A-A Droylsden
29 Nov 08 |  FA Cup

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites