BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

  Sunday, 8 December, 2002, 12:58 GMT
Bristol City railroad Harrogate
Bristol City's players celebrate the first goal against Harrogate Railway in the FA Cup second round
City booked their FA Cup third round passage
Harrogate Railway 1-3 Bristol City
E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Harrogate Railway's remarkable FA Cup journey finally came to an end against Second Division Bristol City.

The Northern Counties East League side had played eight games to reach this stage and despite going two goals behind - a Phil Walker own goal and a Scott Murray strike - never gave up in their bid to reach the third round.

The lowest-ranked team at this stage of the FA Cup since Coventry Sporting in 1975, Harrogate's persistence was finally rewarded when Steve Davey's header set up a tense final 13 minutes for high-flying City.

Ian Hart then went close with a header, but in injury time Christian Roberts restored City's two-goal cushion.

Key moments
20 mins: Phil Walker gives Bristol City the lead with an own goal
53 mins: Scott Murray doubles City's advantage
78 mins: Steve Davey's header reduces the deficit
90 mins: Christian Roberts ends Harrogate's FA Cup dream

Just before the interval Matt Flynn and Kevin Smith also had chances for Harrogate but both forwards lacked the necessary calm in front of goal.

When it came the first goal proved desperately unfortunate for Walker.

Lee Peacock flashed a shot across the goal and under pressure from Roberts, Walker deflected the ball past Harrogate goalkeeper Ed Neale.

City had a number of chances to extend their lead in the opening half, particularly when Roberts broke clear only to fire his shot just past the post.

We had to respect Harrogate as this was their Cup final and they did themselves proud by the way they played

City boss
Danny Wilson

Neale had a lucky escape when he completely miskicked outside his area, but before Roberts could not take advantage and Mark Watkinson cleared the danger.

Throughout the non-league side struggled to deal with the link-up play between Brian Tinnion and Mickey Bell down the City left.

Bell himself also was unlucky when his low cross-shot went narrowly wide.

Harrogate briefly threatened when Steve Phillips dropped Ian McLean's corner but Flynn was unable to keep his shot down.

Steve Davey scored Railway's goal
Davey (left) was ecstatic after scoring for Harrogate

Soon after a lob from McLean caused panic in the City penalty area, but Smith volleyed wildly over.

If City's first goal had a touch of fortune about it, the second demonstrated the difference in class between the two sides.

Doherty's pass sent Roberts free on the right and the City striker strode into the area before pulling the ball back for Murray, who calmly shot past Neale.

Davey's goal ensured a frenetic finale.

We have had a great couple of weeks, it's been a marvellous experience and I just hope we can do the same again next year

Harrogate boss
Paul Marshall

The Harrogate substitute capitalised on Matt Hill's defensive error to guide his header over Phillips.

The City goalkeeper was then put under further pressure but Hart's header went just wide.

But City also had their chances, but three times Roberts spurned opportunities - the second an open goal.

Finally in the fourth minute of stoppage time, Robert latched on to Bell's pass and slotted home.

Harrogate Railway: Neale, Walker, Danby, Wilson, Watkinson, McLean, Ames, Gore, Stansfield, Flynn, Smith.
Subs: Davey, Constable, Sunley, Hart, McDade.

Bristol City: Phillips, Bell, Doherty, Butler, Hill, Murray, Tinnion, Burnell, Coles, Roberts, Peacock.
Subs: Stowell, Carey, Aaron Brown, Rosenior, Lita.

Referee: P Danson (Leicestershire).

Harrogate manager Paul Marshall
"It's the best feeling in my life"
Harrogate striker Steve Davey
"We should be proud of that
Harrogate's Phil Walker
"They were struggling in the second half"

Third round draw

Sunday's games

Saturday's games


Have your say

Internet link
Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales