Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Friday, 7 December, 2001, 08:21 GMT
Canvey Island 1-0 Northampton
Canvey manager Jeff King is mobbed by Canvey Island supporters
Canvey manager Jeff King celebrates with fans

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Canvey Island 1-0 Northampton

Canvey Island continued their giant-killing run after they dumped Second Division side Northampton Town out of the FA Cup at Park Lane.

Striker Neil Gregory was once again the Ryman Premier League side's hero when he fired past Keith Welch in the 48th minute.

Gregory, who scored his side's late winner in the 1-0 victory over Wigan in round one, rounded off a superb Canvey move instigated by former West Ham full-back Julian Dicks.

Northampton dominated for much of the first half, but could not turn their possession and territorial advantage into goals.

The Cobblers did find the net after 26 minutes, but Richard Hope's close-range effort was disallowed after the referee spotted an infringement in the box.

Equaliser search

But the turning moment came three minutes after the half-time interval when Gregory broke the deadlock.

Spurred into action, Northampton should have pulled level in the 69th minute, but veteran striker Marco Gabbiadini was denied by a superb challenge from Chris Duffy on the edge of the six-yard box.

As Northampton pressed men forward looking for the equaliser, Canvey came close to doubling their advantage five minutes from time.

Dicks' swerving free-kick from the edge of the box was tipped over the crossbar by Welch.

The save was Welch's last of the game when he was sent off after handling outside the area when Lee Boylan chipped the ball forward on a counterattack.

First Division leaders Burnley now stand in the way between Jeff King's side and a place in the fourth round.

Canvey Island: Harrison, Kennedy, Duffy, Chenery, Dicks, Smith, Vaughan, Stimson, Gregory, Miller, Parmenter. Subs: Bennett, Boylan, Cobb, Knight, Ward.

Northampton: Welch, Spedding, Marsh, Hunter, Hope, Burgess, Sampson, Frain, Hunt, Forrester, Gabbiadini. Subs: Sollitt, Parkin, Asamoah, McGregor, Carruthers.

Referee: P Taylor (Cheshunt).

BBC Sport's David Croft
"In truth Northampton can hardly be surprised by the result"
Canvey Island manager Jeff King
"I felt we were the better side"
Canvey Island goalscorer Neil Gregory
"We're absolutely delighted"
Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

^^ Back to top