Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 28 October, 2000, 16:22 GMT 17:22 UK
Wolves 2-2 Watford
Wolves clearly suffered in the few minutes after Ludo Pollet was stretchered off
Wolves unsettled the First Division leaders for the second successive Saturday as they upset Watford just as they had Fulham seven days ago.

Graham Taylor looked like enjoying a successful third return to Molineux when his side led 2-0 at half-time.

But Colin Lee, himself a former Watford manager, has every right to hail this as a deserved point after Wolves bounced back with two second-half goals and several threats of a winner.

It was a rousing contest on a rain-lashed occasion - only the second time on Watford's travels in the league and Worthington Cup this season that they have failed to win.

Wolves started purposefully with lone striker Michael Branch unsettling his markers and slotting wide one excellent early chance.

But Wolves' dominant opening ran into problems in the 28th minute when defensive star Ludovic Pollet was stretchered off for nine stitches after a nasty clash of heads with Neil Cox.


Pollet was replaced by on-loan Darren Peacock but Cox recovered to superbly give his team the lead in the 28th minute with a delicate right-foot chip from 20 yards.

That 32nd minute breakthrough was quickly followed by a second Watford goal, Tommy Mooney driving home left-footed from close range after Micah Hyde had played the ball across the area.

Wolves were harshly represented by the interval scoreline but found a way back into the game in the first minute of the second period when Darren Ward tugged the shirt of interval substitute Carl Robinson, leaving skipper Kevin Muscat to clip home the penalty.

Wolves then laid siege on the Watford goal and Branch, Tony Dinning, Peacock and Temuri Ketsbaia all went close to levelling.

Watford might have made the game safe when sub Tommy Smith shaved the far post with a left-foot shot but Wolves deservedly hauled themselves back on terms in the 75th minute.

Simon Osborn's deep left-wing corner reached Dinning, who scored with a powerful left-foot shot that ripped through a crowded goalmouth.

Wanderers have now taken five points from three difficult games in the space of eight days while Watford had the rare experience of travelling home without maximum points.

Wolverhampton: Oakes, Muscat, Naylor, Pollet, Lescott, Bazeley, Osborn, Dinning, Sinton, Ketsbaia, Branch.
Subs: Robinson, Stowell, Peacock, Proudlock, Camara.

Watford: Chamberlain, Cox, Robinson, Page, Palmer, Ward, Nielsen, Hyde, Wooter, Mooney, Noel-Williams.
Subs: Day, Gibbs, Smith, Helguson, Foley.

Referee: W Burns (Scarborough)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top