Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
World Cup 2002
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Worthington Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
CIS Ins Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 26 February, 2002, 22:34 GMT
Grimsby 3-1 Stockport
E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Stockport player-boss Carlton Palmer was sent off as Grimsby hammered another nail in his side's coffin.

Palmer saw red in the 84th minute, given a second yellow card for descent having been booked for a late tackle in the first half.

He had pulled a goal back for the First Division's bottom side after Andy Todd and Paul Groves had put Grimsby 2-0 up.

Bradley Allen made it three just before half-time.

Snow fell as the game began and within seven minutes Grimsby had stormed ahead.

Loan centre-back Todd met a Danny Butterfield corner at the far post and despatched a sweet right-foot volley into the opposite corner.

After Butterfield had headed wide from a David Smith cross, Stockport had a chance when Luke Beckett broke through but under pressure from Groves he scooped his shot and Danny Coyne had an easy save.

Jonathan Daly headed over from a corner for County and then Todd tried to add to his total with a diving header which went straight at keeper Lee Jones.

A clash for a loose ball between Allan Pouton and Aaron Lescott led to the County man being carried off in the 30th minute.

Within two minutes Grimsby had extended their lead. A Pouton corner found its way through to player-boss Groves, whose downward header gave Jones no chance.

Pringle blow

Palmer, booked for going in late on Pouton in the 40th minute, pulled a goal back after a fine solo run.

He robbed Butterfield and advanced to the edge of the box before lashing a fierce left-foot shot passed Coyne.

Martin Pringle's solo run almost brought Grimsby a third but his final shot was driven wide.

The Mariners made it three in first-half added time, however. Pringle beat two men on the right and saw his cross deflected to the unmarked Allen, who tapped home.

The second half began badly for Grimsby when loan striker Pringle was carried off straight to a waiting ambulance.

He had been the victim of a nasty tackle from behind by Dave Challinor, who was booked.

Substitute Michael Boulding broke through for Grimsby in the 64th minute but put a left-foot shot wide.

Boulding should have scored in the 71st minute after being put through by Allen but Jones made a fine block.

Groves then volleyed wide after a Todd nod down from a corner.

Referee Mark Clattenburg then produced a second yellow card for Palmer, who had spoken out of turn, and this was followed by a red card and Palmer walked.

Grimsby: Coyne, McDermott, Todd, Groves, David Smith, Butterfield, Burnett, Pouton, Campbell, Allen, Pringle. Subs: Ford, Croudson, Boulding, Coldicott, Jevons.

Stockport: Jones, Challinor, Woodthorpe, Hardiker, Clare, Briggs, Fradin, Palmer, Lescott, Beckett, Daley. Subs: Turner, Thomas, Carratt, Ross, Welsh.

Referee: M Clattenburg (Cramlington).

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top