Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Monday, 16 April, 2001, 16:30 GMT 17:30 UK
Norwich 2-3 Burnley
Ian Moore
Ian Moore's strike proved decisive
Norwich 2-3 Burnley

Burnley twice came from behind at Carrow Road to maintain their push for the Division One play-offs.

Ian Moore, who nearly joined Norwich in a 1million deal in November before opting for the Clarets, scored the decisive goal after 62 minutes.

The Canaries started brilliantly when former Manchester United striker Alex Notman scored his first goal for the club after just 12 minutes.

There seemed little danger when Notman latched onto Adam Drury's long through-ball as he had both Paul Smith and Gordon Armstrong for company.


But the diminutive striker shrugged off their half-hearted challenges before slipping the ball past keeper Nik Michopoulos and into an unguarded net.

Nigel Worthington's side were undone by a dreadful howler from young keeper Robert Green which handed the visitors a route back into the match on 24 minutes.

Kevin Ball's low shot from 25 yards was a reasonable effort but should not have really troubled the keeper.

But much to the dismay of the home crowd he let the ball trickle through his grasp and into the net.

Norwich regained the lead seven minutes from half-time when Smith brought down the lively Notman in the area as the young Scot chased a flick on from Iwan Roberts.

Realistic chance

Referee Mark Warren immediately pointed to the spot and Roberts scored his 18th goal of the season, a strike that puts him eighth in Norwich's all-time scoring list.

Burnley, knowing only three points would do if they were to maintain a realistic chance of making the play-offs, started the second half brightly.

And they were right back in the game after 47 minutes when the impressive Glen Little's cross from the right was met by unmarked Gareth Taylor inside the six-yard box.

It got even better for the Clarets when they scored what proved to be the decisive goal 15 minutes later.

Taylor and Paul Weller attempted to play a one-two on the edge of the box which found Moore, who drilled home unerringly into the bottom corner from 12 yards out.

From then on Burnley looked content to protect their advantage.

Their only real moment of concern came three minutes after they had taken the lead when it took a timely block from Steve Davis after Notman's excellent cross from the right had been hit first time by Roberts.

Norwich: Green, Kenton, Jackson, Fleming, Mackay, Drury, Mulryne, Russell, Llewellyn, Roberts, Notman. Subs: McGovern, Marshall, Holt, Forbes, Peschisolido.

Burnley: Michopoulos, West, Davis, Ball, Smith, Little, Armstrong, Weller, Cook, Taylor, Moore. Subs: Crichton, Payton, Thomas, Mullin, Briscoe.

Referee: M Messias (York).

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

14 Apr 01 |  Eng Div 1
Tranmere 0-1 Norwich
14 Apr 01 |  Eng Div 1
Burnley 1-1 West Brom
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top