Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 24 February, 2001, 17:28 GMT
Watford 2-2 Stockport
Tommy Mooney
Watford's Tommy Mooney was on target again
Promotion-chasing Watford suffered a major setback to their hopes against Stockport County at Vicarage Road.

Trailing for much of the match they suddenly turned the game around with two goals in 90 seconds - only to throw it all away in the last minute with some bad defending.

However, struggling Stockport deserved their point, after taking a 23rd-minute lead when a midfield mistake by Paul Robinson presented the visitors with the ball.

Karim Fradin broke down the right and crossed into the middle where Aaron Wilbraham met it with an outstretched foot. His control took the ball beyond Darren Ward and the county striker duly slotted home.

Watford were unable to create a noteworthy chance in the first half and despite a succession of substitutions the Hornets still looked unlikely to pull a goal back.

It all changed in the 78th minute when Robert Page sent Nordin Wooter away down the right and his cross was met by Tommy Mooney, who broke between two defenders to slot in his 17th of the season.

Just over a minute later a free-kick by Peter Kennedy was deflected towards the far post, where Allan Nielsen stooped to head home and give Watford the lead.

But another error by Robinson put his captain in difficulties in the 89th minute and while Watford protested that Robert Page had been fouled the referee allowed Shefki Kuqi to turn back, draw keeper Espen Baardsen and set up Wilbraham for his second goal of the afternoon.

Watford: Baardsen, Cox, Robinson, Page, Palmer, Ward, Vernazza, Nielsen, Mooney, Helguson, Smith. Subs: Chamberlain, Kennedy, Hyde, Wooter, Gibbs.

Stockport: Jones, Flynn, Fradin, Grayson, Clark, Gibb, Smith, Clare, Kuqi, Carrigan, Wilbraham. Subs: Connelly, Nicholson, Woodthorpe, Dibble, Hurst.

Referee: P Walton (Northants)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top