Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 14:36 GMT
Sheff Wed 0-1 Wolves
Muscat: Spectacular free kick gave Wolves victory
Kevin Muscat's well taken free-kick gave Wolves an early Christmas present with a much-needed win over struggling Sheffield Wednesday.

Muscat fired the visitors into the lead on the stroke of half-time from 18 yards as Wednesday struggled to get out of first gear.

Managerless Wolves could have won by a greater margin, but George Ndah and Michael Branch wasted good chances.

Wednesday created very little throughout the game, although they did have the opening chance of the game as early as the second minute.

Owen Morrison's centre was flicked on by Efan Ekoku but the striker's attempt flew over the bar.

A minute later the home side had a scare when the referee waved away Wolves' penalty appeal following Owls keeper Kevin Pressman's challenge on Ndah.


Despite Wednesday's early chance it was the visitors who looked the more likely side to open the scoring. Joleon Lescot's point-blank header from six yards forced Pressman into a fine save.

After 23 minutes Andy Sinton's corner was met by the head of Ndah, but Owls full-back Steve Harkness was on the line to clear the danger.

Just asthe first half looked to be ending all square, Wolves broke the deadlock through skipper Muscat.

The defender brilliantly executed a curling free-kick from the edge of the Wednesday box which flew past the outstretched arms of Pressman and into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.


The second half was as dour as the first with the first shot on goal coming from Wednesday old boy Sinton on 57 minutes.

Wednesday's best chance followed just a minute later when Gerald Sibon fed Morrison down the left hand side, but the youngster's tight angled shot failed to force Oakes into a save.

Wolves should have doubled their lead on 72 minutes but Ndah's free header went wide of the target.

Minutes later substitute Michael Branch capitalised on a Des Walker error, only to see his lob over the stranded Pressman dip the wrong side of the Owls' bar.

But Wolves hung on for a precious away win to help stand-in boss John Ward, appointed following the sacking of Colin Lee this week, stake his claim for the Molineux hotseat.

Sheff Wed: Pressman, Haslam, Harkness, Walker, Quinn, Sibon, Hendon, Ekoku, Cooke, Bromby, Morrison. Subs: Stringer, O'Donnell, Lescott, Hamshaw, Di Piedi.

Wolverhampton: Oakes, Muscat, Naylor, Robinson, Pollet, Bazeley, Sinton, Ndah, Lescott, Andrews, Proudlock. Subs: Nash, Branch, Green, Camara, Tudor.

Referee: R Pearson

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top