Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: CIS Ins Cup  
Front Page 
Eng Prem 
FA Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 9 October, 2001, 21:32 GMT 22:32 UK
Killie lose Ayrshire derby
Ayr celebrate after the penalty shoot-out
Ayr celebrate after the penalty shoot-out
Ayr United 0-0 Kilmarnock (5-4 on penalties)

Ten-man Ayr United booked their place in the last eight of the CIS Insurance Cup after winning an enthralling Ayrshire derby against Kilmarnock on penalties.

Despite the dismissal of midfielder Paul Sheerin after an ugly stamping incident on Andy McLaren in the first half, the Honest Men again proved to be Killie's bogey side.

The game had ended goalless after 120 minutes before Ayr goalkeeper Craig Nelson saved from Craig Dargo in the nail-biting finale.

Brian McLaughlin also missed for the home side to send the game into sudden-death.

But Killie defender Chris Innes missed and Neil Duffy scored the deciding penalty to send the First Division side into the last eight of the competition.

Craig Nelson was the spot-kick hero
Craig Nelson was the spot-kick hero
Ayr had dumped Kilmarnock out of the Scottish Cup two years running - in 1998 and 1999 - and, before that, beat them in the League Cup in 1996.

Killie went into this one without suspended midfielders Garry Hay and Jesus Sanjuan.

It took until the 25th minute for either goalkeeper to be tested, Nelson saving Ally Mitchell's low, right-foot effort.

The home side went closer two minutes later, when goalkeeper Gordon Marshall failed to hold Gary Teale's cross and James Grady's goalbound effort was somehow deflected wide by his team-mate, Eddie Annand, on the line.

Killie defender Martin Baker was lucky not to receive at least a yellow card when he clipped the feet of Annand as the striker threatened to run clear.

Mitchell again forced Nelson into action with a powerful effort from 22 yards.

The game turned ugly in the 41st minute, when referee Willie Young had no alternative but to send off Sheerin when the Ayr midfielder stamped on McLaren after being fouled by the Killie winger.

Killie players cannot believe the defeat
Killie players cannot believe the defeat
McLaren was shown the yellow card.

The visitors were not dispirited despite the sending off and, in the 56th minute, Duffy headed Teale's corner just past the post.

Kilmarnock looked to make their advantage count, but Mickael Pizzo sent his effort wide.

Fellow substitute Kris Boyd somehow headed into the ground then over, headed wide then was denied by Nelson as he was given opportunities to give Killie the victory before and into extra time.

Man-of-the-match Nelson then saved headers from Chris Innes and Boyd.

Ayr hung on to try their luck with the lottery of penalty kicks.

Ayr: Nelson, Robertson, Lovering, Duffy, Hughes, Sheerin, Teale, Wilson, Sharp, Annand, Grady. Subs: McLaughlin, McEwan, Bradford, Smyth, Dodds.

Kilmarnock: Marshall, Canero, Dindeleux, Innes, Baker, McLaren, Mahood, Calderon, Mitchell, Dargo, McCutcheon. Subs: Pizzo, Hessey, Boyd, Di Giacomo, Stewart.

Referee: W Young.

Links to more CIS Ins Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more CIS Ins Cup stories

^^ Back to top