BBC Sport
BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 13 August, 2003, 20:37 GMT 21:37 UK
Rangers held at home
Todi Jonsson tangles with Mikel Arteta
Rangers were outplayed for long stretches at Ibrox
Rangers 1-1 FC Copenhagen

Rangers' chances of making the Champions League group phase hang in the balance after FC Copenhagen earned a deserved draw at Ibrox.

Peter Lovenkrands fired Alex McLeish's men into an early lead, but the visitors played the better football thereafter and equalised through Faroe Islander Todi Jonsson.

Rangers could not find any rhythm against well-organised and inventive opponents and can count themselves fortunate to be on level terms after the first leg.

It has been three years since Rangers last qualified for the first group phase of the competition and they will have to produce a much-improved performance in Denmark in the away leg if that barren run is to end.

Rangers got off to the perfect start when visiting goalkeeper Balazs Raboczki punched a Mikel Arteta free-kick straight into the path of Lovenkrands at the back post and the winger rammed the ball home from six yards out.

The Ibrox crowd were roaring their favourites on but FC Copenhagen were not overawed and soon began to control the midfield.

However, the next best chance fell to the Scottish champions and Arteta's 23rd minute shot flew inches wide of the mark.

The Danish side were swarming round the Rangers penalty area but some stout defending and last-ditch tackling denied the visitors any clear-cut chances.

Peter Lovenkrands opened the scoring at Ibrox
Rangers almost doubled their lead when Craig Moore rose to head Arteta's corner into the six-yard box, where Michael Mols connected with the ball, but Raboczki made a fine block.

The Danes retaliated swiftly when Zuma powered in a low drive, forcing Stefan Klos to make his first real save of the evening.

Copenhagen started the second half strongly and Zuma peeled off his marker to get on the end of a cross from the right, but his volley was both high and wide.

An equaliser was coming and Jonsson provided it in the 51st minute, although there was an element of luck involved when a team-mate's shot was deflected into his path.

But there was no doubting the quality of the finish, as he turned to drill the ball low past Klos from the edge of the penalty area.

Rangers huffed and puffed in search of a winner but the well organised Danes dealt with the home attacks easily and remained a threat on the break.

Rangers: Klos, Ross, Moore, Khizanishvili, Ball, Ricksen, Ferguson, Arteta, de Boer, Lovenkrands, Mols. Subs: McGregor, Nerlinger, Malcolm, Vanoli, Thompson, Capucho, Berg.

FC Copenhagen: Raboczki, Rooba, Svensson, Norregaard, Albrechtsen, Tobiasen, Mykland, Nielsen, Roll Larsen, Jonsson, Zuma. Subs: Kihlstedt, Zivkovic, Bisgaard, Svard, Traore, Bech, Moller. Referee: Manuel

Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez (Spain)

Rangers boss Alex McLeish
"The early goal knocked the stuffing out of the players"


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | US Sport | Other Sport | Olympics 2004

Scores & Fixtures | Have Your Say | Photo Galleries | TV/Radio Listings

Sport Relief 2004 | Fun and Games | Question of Sport | BBC Sport Plus

Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport