Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 19:50 GMT, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 20:50 UK
Undercover Care - useful websites

If you or someone you know is affected by any of the issues raised in Undercover Care: The Abuse Exposed, help is available. Below is a list of institutions, charities and government agencies available to assist those coping with these issues.

The Disability Law Service (DLS) provides telephone or written community care law advice. This is free to disabled people, their family and carers by appointment. Contact DLS by e-mail on or phone 020 7791 9800.

Voice UK is a national charity supporting people with learning disabilities and other vulnerable people who have experienced crime or abuse.

Its helpline for carers, parents and professionals can be reached on 0808 802 8686, Monday to Friday between 0900 to 1700 BST, e-mail or text message 07797 800 642.

Mencap Learning Disability Helpline provides advice and information on all issues relevant to people with learning disabilities and their families in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Contact the helpline by phone on 0808 808 1111.

Enable Scotland is a leading charitable organisation for people who have a learning disability in Scotland. It is run by its members and provides people who have learning disabilities with a platform to make their voice heard, pushing for improvements to the opportunities available for children and adults who have learning disabilities.

It also provides personalised services and links to advocacy as well as information and expert advice. Its direct helpline is for people who have learning disabilities, their carers and family members. E-mail or call 0300 0200 101.

Respond is a national charity that supports children and adults with learning disabilities who have experienced abuse or trauma. Respond provides therapeutic support as well as practical advice and information.

Its helpline is for people with learning disabilities themselves as well as family, carers and professionals supporting them and can be reached by e-mailing or calling 0808 808 0700.

The National Autistic Society is a leading UK charity for people with autism - including Asperger's syndrome - and their families. It provides information, support and campaigns for a better world for people with autism.

Persons with autism or their families or carers are free to contact them by phone on 0845 070 4004 Monday to Friday between 1000 and 1600 BST.

The charity Sibs provides information and support to people growing up with - or have grown up with - a brother or sister with any disability, long term chronic illness or life limiting condition. E-mail for more details.

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care in England. The commission can be contacted by phone on 03000 616161.

Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland is the new unified independent scrutiny and improvement body for care and children's services and works to improve services for adults and children across Scotland. Contact them by phone on 0845 600 9527.

The core role of Healthcare Inspectorate Wales (HIW) is to review and inspect NHS and independent healthcare organisations in Wales, to provide independent assurance for patients, the public, the Welsh Government and healthcare providers that services are safe and good quality.

HIW also protects the interests of people whose rights are restricted under the Mental Health Act. For details, e-mail or call 02920 928850.

Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) encourages the improvement of social care, early years and social services. It regulates, inspects and reviews services and provides professional advice to Welsh ministers and policy makers.

You can contact CSSIW by e-mailing or phoning 01443 848450.

The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority is the independent health and social care regulatory body for Northern Ireland.

Contact them by e-mailing or calling 02890 517500.

The Challenging Behaviour Foundation provides telephone and e-mail support from a Family Support Worker on challenging behaviour associated with severe learning disabilities and related issues.

There are also DVDs and information sheets about support for people who have a severe learning disability and behaviour described as challenging (resources are free of charge to family carers). Contact them by phone on 0845 6027885 or email:

The Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) makes decisions as to who should be barred from working or volunteering with children or vulnerable adults.

They maintain the children's barred list and the vulnerable adults' barred list - deciding who should be added or removed from either list.

If an organisation dismisses or removes a member of staff/volunteer from working with children and/or vulnerable adults (in what is legally defined as regulated activity) because they have harmed a child or vulnerable adult, they have a legal duty to inform the ISA.

The ISA's call centre number is 01325 953795.

Public Concern at Work is an independent charity providing confidential advice to workers who witness wrongdoing or malpractice in the workplace and who find themselves in a whistle-blowing dilemma.

Their helpline can be contacted on 0207 404 6609. Approximately one third of their concerns come from workers in the care and health sectors.

Castlebeck statement to Panorama
Tuesday, 31 May 2011, 20:12 GMT |  Panorama
Reporter 'haunted' by abuses
Tuesday, 31 May 2011, 20:16 GMT |  Panorama

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific