BBC Home
Explore the BBC
22 August  
Search ON THIS DAY by date
Go back one day Go forward one day  
Front Page |  Years |  Themes |  Witness
About This Site | Text Only
1999: Man in custody after burglary shooting
A 54-year old man has been arrested after a suspected burglar was killed at a farmhouse in Norfolk.

The man, a farmer, is reported to have disturbed burglars at his isolated property in the village of Emneth.

Armed officers were called to Emneth on Friday night after reports of gunfire and found a 29-year-old man with serious leg injuries.

Officers searched for over 12 hours before they found a body in a garden at the rear of the farm house.

The victim has not been publicly identified but police said he was a 16-year-old youth from Newark, Nottinghamshire.

The owner of the property was arrested on Saturday morning at a hotel in nearby Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

Officers said he was being held on suspicion of murder and attempted murder.

Relatives and neighbours said the farmer had been the victim of a number of recent break-ins.

He is currently being questioned at a police station in Kings Lynn.

The injured man was taken to Kings Lynn hospital where his injuries were treated.

He and another uninjured man were arrested on suspicion of burglary. They were later released on bail until next month.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Bleak House, the home of Tony Martin
The body was found in the farmhouse garden

In Context
The farmer who shot the burglars, Tony Martin, was later charged with the murder of 16-year old Fred Barras and intent to cause grievous bodily harm to another intruder, Brendan Fearon.

In April 2000 he was found guilty of murder and jailed for life.

After an appeal Martin's conviction was later reduced to manslaughter and his sentence shortened to five years.

In January 2002 Martin was refused leave to take his case for acquittal to the House of Lords.

The two surviving burglars, Brendan Fearon, 29, and Darren Bark, 33, were jailed for three years and 30 months respectively.

In 2002 Fearon began a claim against Martin for up to 50,000 compensation for his injuries.

Martin was released on 28 July 2003 and has since sold his story to a national newspaper.

Stories From 22 Aug

Search ON THIS DAY by date
Go back one day Go forward one day  

^^ back to top
Front Page |  Years |  Themes |  Witness
©MMVIII | News Sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy