BBC Home
Explore the BBC
14 April  
Search ON THIS DAY by date
Go back one day Go forward one day  
Front Page |  Years |  Themes |  Witness
About This Site | Text Only
2000: M25 killer gets life
A man who carried out a "road rage" killing is beginning a life sentence after being convicted of murder at the Old Bailey in London.

Kenneth Noye, 52, stabbed Stephen Cameron in the heart and liver as they fought on a slip road alongside the M25 motorway in 1996.

Noye had been angered by the driving of Mr Cameron's girlfriend, Danielle Cable, who had cut into the lane ahead of his Landrover.

When the vehicles came to a halt he got out and confronted Mr Cameron who died at the scene in the arms of Ms Cable.

After the killing Noye fled to the Costa del Sol in Spain where he was arrested in 1998 by British police.

Described by police as a "professional criminal", Noye had already been acquitted after a trial for stabbing an undercover policeman to death.

However, he served a 14-year jail term for handling proceeds from the UK's biggest robbery, the Brinks Mat bullion heist.

Danielle's courage in sticking by the investigation and giving evidence against a man like Kenneth Noye is outstanding
Det Supt Dennis McGookin
As the verdict was announced, Stephen Cameron's parents leapt up and hugged each other.

Outside the court, Mr Cameron's father, Ken, described the family's "torment" in the four years since the killing.

"The uncertainty of not knowing whether we would get justice for our son tore us apart," he told a news conference.

Danielle Cable's courage throughout the ordeal and the inquiry was praised by police after the trial ended on Friday.

"She watched her fiancÚ get stabbed to death when she was only 17," said Detective Superintendent Dennis McGookin.

"Her courage in sticking by the investigation and coming to court and giving evidence against a man like Kenneth Noye is somewhat outstanding, and is a great tribute to that young lady," he said.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Kenneth Noye
Kenneth Noye fled to Spain after the killing

In Context
After Noye's arrest Danielle Cable was given a new identity and 24-hour police guard and moved to another part of Britain.

Police believed as the main prosecution witness and the person who identified Noye in Spain, she might be targeted by his underworld associates.

Another eye-witness, Alan Decabral, testified against Noye in spite of threats on his life.

Mr Decabral was shot dead in August 2000 - Noye was questioned in connection with the murder but no charges were brought against him.

In October 2001 Kenneth Noye's appeal was rejected and in March 2004 failed in his High Court attempt to challenge his mandatory life sentence.

Stories From 14 Apr

Search ON THIS DAY by date
Go back one day Go forward one day  

^^ back to top
Front Page |  Years |  Themes |  Witness
©MMVIII | News Sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy