Ian Rankin is the author of the Inspector Rebus series
The Naming of the Dead by crime writer Ian Rankin has topped a list of most-borrowed books from Scottish libraries.
The book, which is one of the Scots author's Inspector Rebus series, came ahead of titles by Scots-based writers JK Rowling and Quintin Jardine.
The figures, released by the Public Lending Right, cover the period from July 2007 to June 2008.
The top 10 in Scotland includes four titles from US writer James Patterson, the UK's most borrowed author.
Scottish borrowers spurned the Richard and Judy Book Club choices, which dominated the Top 10s in other regions of the UK, in favour of thrillers and crime novels by the likes of US writer Michael Connelly.
The top 10 was:
- 1. The Naming of the Dead by Ian Rankin
- 2. The Overlook by Michael Connelly
- 3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
- 4. At Risk by Patricia Cornwell
- 5. Cross by James Patterson
- 6. Judge and Jury by James Patterson & Andrew Gross
- 7. The Quickie by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
- 8. Death's Door by Quintin Jardine
- 9. Echo Park by Michael Connelly
- 10. The 6th Target by James Patterson