Carbon monoxide is often described as the silent killer
A new website which allows customers to check on gas repair workers to make sure they are properly qualified is being launched.
From 1 April anyone who installs or fixes gas boilers must be a Gas Safe-registered engineer.
Previously the message had always been to make sure engineers were Corgi-registered to ensure the safety credentials of the tradesman or woman.
A new website called the Gas Safety Register will now allow customers to check on the validity of an engineer immediately.
Anyone who carries out work on gas must be registered on the Gas Safe Register otherwise they are breaking the law and could potentially put customers at risk.
The site advises that incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained gas appliances are a major cause of carbon monoxide poisoning - which killed 14 people last year.
Carbon monoxide's often called the silent killer because you can't smell it or see it and getting appliances checked regularly and repaired properly can save lives.
Private tenants must make sure that their landlord arranges for a legitimate engineer to do a safety check every year and provide proof.
Alan Littlewood's daughter Elouise died after being poisoned and he hopes no-one has to go through what he did.
He said: "She had some symptoms of illness - headaches. We called the police who broke into the property and found that her and her friend, who was living with her at the time, had been overcome by carbon monoxide.
"Elouise was found dead, her friend was brain-damaged."