BBC Home
Explore the BBC
Last Updated: Friday, 14 March 2008, 07:59 GMT
Demand for Glastonbury tickets 'down'
By Kev Geoghegan
Radio 1 music reporter

Organisers of this year's Glastonbury Festival say there has been less demand for tickets than usual because Jay-Z is headlining. Registration for this summer's three-day event closes on Friday after six weeks.

Glastonbury

The registration process was put in place last year by organiser Michael Eavis, as a measure to stop the ticket touts.

But Eavis says demand is down compared to 2007.

He said: "There's not as many as last year because we haven't got the super, big, big, big sort of headlining act anymore. We've gone for something middle range although Jay-Z is huge in America."

No big headliner

In 2007, so many people logged on to the festival's official website that it crashed and the registration period was extended by 24 hours.

Fans are expected to have photographic proof of ID when they travel to the festival in Somerset on 27-29 June.

Michael Eavis says it will be a different event this year.

Michael Eavis
Biodegradable tent pegs will be handed out to festival goers
He said: "It's going to be absolutely brilliant. But it's not like a Radiohead or a Muse or a Coldplay or an Oasis is it? So we didn't expect the demand to be quite as high."

People are being advised that anyone who registered last year will still need to register again this year.

But there is now an option in place to register for the next three festivals - until 2010.

Michael Eavis says he has not made up his mind whether they'll charge more for tickets than last year.

He said: "We're trying to give away £2m a year to the charities stuff and the good works and stuff that we do. So to achieve that we have to charge a little bit more."

It will close at midnight on 14 March, with tickets going on sale on 6 April.

Emily Eavis is in charge of The Park area. She says it will be bigger and better this year.

She said: "I think it's always quite nice to stumble across things rather than put everything done as a solid programme.

"We're sort of leaving a few gaps and we've got a few things lined up that will be really, really good."

The headliners have been confirmed as Kings Of Leon, Jay-Z and The Verve. The full line-up is announced in June.



SEE ALSO
Jay-Z confirmed for Glastonbury
Thursday, 7 February 2008, 14:43 GMT |  Music
Glastonbury headliners revealed
Friday, 8 February 2008, 12:48 GMT |  Music
Kate Nash to open Glastonbury
Friday, 22 February 2008, 11:21 GMT |  Music

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external websites.