BBC Mobile

BBC Home > BBC News > Northern Ireland

New questions over Causeway plan
14 Nov 2007 19:51 GMT

A Sinn Fein assembly member has raised new questions about a planned visitor's centre at the Giant's Causeway.

Daithi McKay has released minutes of a ministerial meeting in July.

It shows Environment Minister Arlene Foster agreeing with party colleague Nigel Dodds that a private development would be the ideal solution.

The minutes show this happened before she had received all the papers about the private plan. Ms Foster said no final decision had been made.

In September, Ms Foster indicated her support for an application from Seymour Sweeney, of Seaport Investments, to develop the site.

Almost immediately, Enterprise Minister Nigel Dodds announced he had shelved a public sector project.

Mr McKay has been raising questions about the issue ever since.

On Wednesday, he said: "From the minute it clearly shows that the minister was of a mind to approve a private application before she had the full facts in front of her.

"Now if she was going to look at that application after that, some could say that she would be in some way biased."

A spokesman for Ms Foster said there was nothing new in Mr McKay's information.

It is understood the minister has asked departmental solicitors to examine statements made by the Sinn Fein member in recent days.

*