In pictures: Valley Gardens
The Valley Gardens in Harrogate are English Heritage Grade II Listed gardens. They are situated in Low Harrogate, and along with woodland known as the Pinewoods, cover 17 acres.
Part of the gardens are known as Bogs Field where it is believed that a greater number of mineral springs come to the surface than any other known place on earth. 36 of Harrogate's 88 mineral wells are found in the gardens.
In 1778 Bogs Field became part of the Stray and the area was slowly improved. Footpaths were built and stone well-heads were put over some of the springs.
One night in 1911, Alderman Binns incorporated a large area of council land into the gardens by knocking down the dividing wall himself! The Sun Pavilion and Colonnades were built on the extra land in 1933.
After WWII a wide variety of plants was planted and in 1957 the Christchurch Botanical Gardens in New Zealand donated specimens which were planted in the specially constructed New Zealand Garden.
The gardens offer something all year round including alpine rarities in spring, a romantic rhododendron dell, seasonal bedding displays, and a magnificent dahlia display in late summer.
The Harrogate Spring Flower Show was held in the gardens for around 70 years until the show grew too big and moved to its new home at the Yorkshire Showground in 1997.
The gardens were was chosen by RHS Britain in Bloom as the country's Best Public Park in 2009 and the new Friends of Valley Gardens hope that success will continue well into the future.