Secklow Bridge has been closed for a year
A protest will take place in Milton Keynes on Friday 28 January, marking the anniversary of the fire that caused major damage to Secklow Gate bridge in the city centre.
City group for quality development, Xplain, are demonstrating against the council's failure to reopen the bridge.
Leader of Xplain, Linda Inoki, said:
"It's a year since fire damaged Secklow Gate bridge, yet the road is still closed and the council hasn't even started repair work.
"We urge members of the public to join us and deliver a timely message to the council."
In a statement, Milton Keynes Council said:
"As we have said previously we are looking carefully at a number of potential options for Secklow Bridge and the surrounding area.
"We can confirm that the insurance claim process is underway.
"It seemed only sensible to delay spending more than £500,000 on repairs to the bridge while there is any chance that potential development might mean the money is wasted. It's also important to remember that we closed the bridge for reasons of public safety.
"The idea of potentially developing this site is nothing new - it is a prominent part of the current Milton Keynes Local Plan, which was adopted in 2005, and has always been a matter of public record."
The protest will take place near the open market at 1.15pm.