The Surrey town of Camberley sprung up around the Royal Military Academy and was the result of the merging of the Cambridge Town and Yorktown settlements. The London Road (now A30) is seen here, with Bradford's Stationers to the right of the picture.
The Yorktown area of Camberley in December 2009. As you can see, most of the original buildings have long gone, leaving the area unrecognisable, with the exception of the stationers, which is now Camberley Printers and neighbours Camberley Tattoo Studio.
It's World War I, looking in the other direction this time. Bradford's are seen to the left, The Home and Colonial building is on the corner of the Frimley Road turning and the Duke of York coaching inn can be seen across the road next to Gates Chemist.
Although the frontages have changed, Bradford's still stands, as does The Home and Colonial building, which for a time became Barclays bank, then a series of restaurants. The Duke of York has not been so lucky, and although still standing, is now derelict.
St Michaels Church, which opened in 1851 thanks to donations from the public and a gift of £50 from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The tower and spire were later additions, erected in memory of Freda, daughter of the Reverend and Mrs Middleton in 1891.
Probably one of the least altered views in the town, although the road level has been changed and there is now a brick wall to support the cemetery bank. In 1860, The Waterbabies author Charles Kingsley led the burial service for General Thackeray here.
Osnaburgh Hill on the London Road with Over's Store on the right hand side. Behind that is The Volunteer pub, and further down is The Globe. At one point there were 15 public houses between the Cambridge Hotel and The Lamb at the other end of the A30.
A few years later and the grass has been replaced by a stone wall to keep the bank from collapsing. Overs is still there, as are both the pubs. New steps and railings have been installed and new lamp posts on the opposite side of the London road.
The Globe with its slate roof sloping towards the road is the last remaining survivor. Now called The Dolphin, following a period as The Bridgers, its future is also uncertain. The steps were replaced by a metal bridge, which was removed in the 1990's.
Park Street in 1907, was a quiet residential street, lined on both sides with the first houses built in Cambridge Town for the working classes. Between the Carpenters public house on the right and the Foresters public house further up were Banks Cottages.
Park Street now with no sign of its residential beginnings. This part of Camberley has seen the most redevelopment over the years, and is now the site of the new Atrium. The Carpenters is still here though, as is the Foresters, now called the Square Bar.
Camberley High Street with the turret of the Sadler and Baker's office in the distance on the left hand side, and a local estate agents on the right. Note there is still residential property on either side, similar to its parallel neighbour Park Street.
Quite a few of the High Street's original buildings have escaped demolition. The estate agents is now the Claude Du Vall pub which opened its doors in March 2002. It is named after one of the infamous highwaymen who roamed this area in the 1600's.
Further up the High Street looking towards the London Road, in an image published as a picture postcard by Hankinson & Son in 1905. You can clearly see the Sadler & Baker's offices on the corner of Princess Street where it joins the High Street.
The turret has been lopped but the building is still recognisable. Interestingly, although the shop fronts have changed all along the high street, the upper facades remain remarkably intact on many of the original buildings.
The Jolly Farmer on the junction of London Road and the Maultway was originally called The Golden Farmer after William Davies, another of the area's notorious highwaymen. It is rumoured there is a smugglers tunnel nearby which leads to a pub in Bagshot.
Following a time as the Mongolian Barbeque restaurant, the building is now home to a golf shop. Historic images thanks to: Camberley Printers Ltd, and to author Mary Ann Bennett whose book about the town's past - "Camberley: A History" is available now.