The chapel closed in 1994 but could be reopened for public use
A Blue Plaque has been unveiled on the front of the oldest nonconformist chapel in the Cynon Valley in recognition of its place local history.
Famously known as The Old Meeting House, Hen Dy Cwrdd was established in 1751 by dissenting members of the Cwm-Y-Glo Chapel on the Merthyr mountain.
Rebuilt on the same site in 1862, the chapel eventually closed in 1994.
The building has recently been renovated and there are hopes of restoring it to community use.
The plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of Rhondda Cynon Taf, Cllr Robert Smith, Chair of Welsh Religious Buildings Trust Revd Dafydd Owen, and Eric Jones, the chapel's last minister.
Cllr Smith said: "It is with great pride and pleasure that we are able to recognise this important building in the valley which has played host to some remarkable characters in Welsh cultural history.
Mayor Robert Smith unveils the blue plaque with 'great pleasure and pride'
The Welsh Religious Buildings Trust, which owns the chapel, has six religious properties across Wales which it is seeking to restore and preserve for future generations.
In 2007, Rhondda Cynon Taf council was awarded £49,200 by the Heritage Lottery fund for a blue plaque scheme to honour historic people, events and buildings.
The council has been working with local people and voluntary organisations to identify 30 suitable sites as yet unrecognized for their role in local history.
In March a blue plaque was unveiled at the Cymmer Independent Chapel near Porth.