The new bridge will cross a busy dual carriageway at Pentrebach
Plans for the proposed Trevithick Bridge which will span the A4060 trunk road in Merthyr Tydfil will go on display this March.
The bridge is named after engineer Richard Trevithick, who launched the world's first steam locomotive in 1804.
It will form part of the Trevithick Trail pedestrian and cycle path which follows the route taken on the historic journey more than 200 years ago.
It's part of a nationwide project from sustainable transport charity Sustrans.
The new bridge will create a traffic-free route from the residential areas of Pentrebach and beyond to local supermarkets and workplaces and into the centre of Merthyr Tydfil.
The Trevithick bridge will also connect to the Taff Trail.
The trail follows the route taken by the world's first steam locomotive
The proposed design for the new bridge incorporates a large wheel which will represent a cog wheel which would have been connected to the driving wheels of the famous Penydarren locomotive.
The scheme is funded by Merthyr Tydfil council and Sustrans, which in 2007 won a £50m award from the Big Lottery Fund to improve walking and cycling routes across Wales.
The Trevithick Trail is also one of the new routes being developed as part of the Valleys Cycle Network.
Rachel Lister from Sustrans Cymru said: "This scheme will really help the people of Merthyr to get around and access everything they need without having to sit in traffic.
"The designs for the bridge are really relevant to Merthyr and represent a part of its history and it will be a useful feature of the town benefitting the people who live here."
Plans will go on display on 23 March at a Walking and Cycling awareness event at Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Centre.
They will then be available to view at the Communities First office in Troedyrhiw and at Abercanaid Primary School.