Jubilee Tower: 200th anniversary celebrations on Moel Famau
10-second trip to Moel Famau summit, courtesy Heather and Hillforts Project
Events are being held to mark the bicentenary of the highest man-made feature in north east Wales, the ruins of Jubilee Tower.
Back in early 1810 plans were made by the area's elite to create a tribute in readiness to mark the golden jubilee of King George III.
And so public subscription was started to pay for a tower on top of the area's tallest hill, Moel Famau.
Views from Jubilee Tower include Rhyl and Liverpool
A foundation stone was laid in a ceremony later that year in front of "thousands" who had made the trek to the summit, enjoying "roasted oxen and celebrations", according to records from the time.
Starting this week, events are being held to celebrate the tower in the run up to the 200th anniversary (25 October). Some activities include wheelchair access and sign language.
These days, walkers who make it to the top of Moel Famau see a different sight to that which greeted people in the early years of the tower's completion.
In 1850 a storm reduced the partially completed tiered Egyptian-style monument to its base.
So, by 1862, the debris and tiers were removed leaving what can be seen today, according to author Charles Stephenson who wrote Moel Famau and the Jubilee Tower of King George III in 2008.
It's ironic then that a song performed by singer John Humphreys Parry during the opening ceremony included the lines "Bless'd be this pile...," and "...Through any storm that leads the varying year...".
Among the events to mark the anniversary, there's an evening walk (Thursday 7.30-10pm) to "enjoy the sun set from the top of Moel Famau the highest point in the Clwydian Range" which, this July, is celebrating its 25th anniversary as An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
For further details, download the what's on brochures via Denbighshire council's website: