The town of Sheringham is renowned for its fishing heritage
Sheringham was originally split into two neighbouring villages known as Upper and Lower Sheringham, with the former housing a strong farming community and Lower Sheringham dedicating itself to fishing.
The two industries peaked in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, during which time Sheringham gained access to the country's rail network - making it possible for fish to be transported efficiently to market.
At one time Sheringham boasted 200 fishing boats, but today its number is in single figures.
Upper Sheringham is mentioned in the Domesday Book and there is evidence that there may have been a Roman settlement on the same site.
In the early 1700s each village had around 100 inhabitants, which grew overtime, with the seaside town we know today forming in approximately 1900.
Much of the farmland at Lower Sheringham was sold for development in the 1890s as the town thrived.
The Sheringham Hotel opened in 1889 with The Grand Hotel and The Burlington both opening in the 1890s. The accommodation attracted wealthy visitors from the South East, generating a far higher income for the locals.
In 1901 the village became a town when it was granted status as a self-governing urban district and today is home to around 7,000 residents, with tourism its main focus.
During both World Wars Sheringham was on the frontline and on 19 January, 1915, it became the first place in Britain to have a bomb dropped on it by a Zeppelin - the remains of which are on display in the town's museum.
Sheringham is home to the North Norfolk Railway, various amusement arcades, has a popular annual summer carnival and hosts many art galleries and trails, with many local artists depicting the beauty of the resort and its coastline.
BBC Norfolk drives into Sheringham North Norfolk Railway on Wednesday, 18 November, 2009.