Local BBC Sites

Neighbouring Sites

Page last updated at 13:23 GMT, Wednesday, 19 January 2011
Zeppelin raids: Norfolk woman, 102, recalls WWI bombing
Florence Wortly-Waters, 102

A 102-year-old woman from King's Lynn in Norfolk has recalled the first ever WWI bombing raids on Britain on the date of its 96th anniversary.

Florence Wortley-Waters is one of the last people in the country to remember the attack along the Norfolk coastline on 19 January 1915.

Four people died in the night-time raids and 16 others were injured.

"It was just one big bang, one big crush. It could have landed on our house," said Mrs Wortley-Waters.

"We had been to my aunts and was walking home after tea in the evening.

"There was this sound in the sky and my mum said, "That's a Zeppelin". It followed us right to my mother's front door.

"It was frightening, very frightening for us as children."

The Zeppelin raids, which were the first to drop bombs on Britain in World War I, were not intended to hit Norfolk.

The attacks were intended to strike along the Humber, but were diverted to the county by strong winds.

The monetary damage of the 1915 raids, which hit Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn, Sheringham, Thornham, Heacham, Hunstanton and Brancaster, was valued at the time to be £7,740.

The first airplane raid on the UK was in London on 28 November 1916.

Zeppelin raid veteran recalls war
16 Mar 05 |  Norfolk



Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific