Local BBC Sites

Page last updated at 11:12 GMT, Friday, 15 October 2010 12:12 UK
Q & A: How to get London 2012 tickets

Buying tickets at the Vancouver Games

The London 2012 Games will be the event of the year so here's our guide to getting your hands on tickets.

How can I get tickets for London 2012?

You need to register your interest for tickets on the London 2012 site.

So far, 1.7m people have registered their interest.


Does that mean I'll get tickets when they go on sale?

No, the point of registering is that you're among the first to hear when the tickets go on sale and London 2012 says it saves time re-entering your details.

So, I then re-enter my details and buy my tickets?

No, you will then go into a ballot. It's not first come, first served as it would be if you wanted to buy tickets to see Madonna. The ballot is open for about six weeks and then tickets will be allocated via the ballot system. It doesn't matter if you apply the day the ballot opens or the day before it closes.

When do the tickets go on sale?

Tickets go on sale in March 2011 - no specific date yet.

How much will the tickets cost?

Ticket prices for events at the Games have been announced with the coveted 100m final costing up to £725.

Organisers London 2012 say tickets for the opening ceremony will cost between £20.12 and £2,012.

There is a wide range of prices for the 39 disciplines and 649 sports sessions.

London 2012 said 90% of tickets will be £100 or less, two-thirds less than £50 and 2.5m tickets will be £20 or less.

The cost of seeing the 100m final will range from £50 to £725. other premium events such as the cycling finals will range from £50 to £325 and diving finals will cost between £50 and £450.

Events like the marathon, road cycling and the triathlon will be free.

PDF link to ticket prices for each sport


Will there be a limit to the number of tickets I can purchase?

London 2012 is still finalising its ticketing strategy and details won't be announced until 2011.

What we do know as this stage is there will be 9.2 million seats available during the event and six million tickets available (via the ballot system) for the Olympic Games and two million for the Paralympics.

However, only 75% of the tickets go to the ballot for the general public as the remaining 25% is a combination of tickets for worldwide fans (through National Olympic Committees around the world), sponsors and rights holders who provide the funds to stage the Games and finally hospitality and travel packages.

The organisers say "prestige hospitality tickets" will account for less than one per cent of tickets on sale.

When will the sport event schedule be available so I can plan what to watch?

This is expected to be published in early 2011.

Will there be any free events I can see?

Yes, there will be free events such as the marathon and road cycling where you won't need a ticket. However, it is likely that London 2012 will ticket the Olympic Park - just to control crowds.

Further details about the ticketing process can be found on the London 2012 site.




SEE ALSO
Million register for 2012 tickets
27 Apr 10 |  London
Warning over fake 2012 websites
29 Oct 09 |  London

OTHER RELATED BBC LINKS

ELSEWHERE ON THE WEB

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific