Leicestershire band Kyte wins Summer Sundae competition
Leicestershire band Kyte opens the Main Stage at Summer Sundae 2010
The winners to open the main stage at Summer Sundae Weekender 2010, on Friday 13 August in the grounds of De Montfort Hall in Leicester, is revealed.
The panel of independent judges selected South Leicestershire band Kyte as the winners of the competition.
BBC Leicester's Dean Jackson announced the decision to the bands lead singer Nick Moon on The Beat on 7 August 2010.
Nick was thrilled at the news and on behalf of the four-piece group he described it as "amazing; awesome".
More about the band
Kyte released their first full length album in the UK in 2010, entitled 'Dead Waves'.
The well travelled quartet have spent the past two years playing at concerts and festivals in such places as Japan, Singapore and all over Europe, whilst finding the time to record and remix numerous songs at their South Kibworth studio.
In September 2010 they will find themselves playing their first ever shows in China and Taiwan, as well as embarking on a three and a half week tour of Europe just before Christmas.
They played the indoor stage of Summer Sundae in 2008.
"Kyte take all the things I love about shoegaze, electro and pop, bang them into some great songs, and then let Nick Moon's vocals completely break your heart. What's not to love?"
"The video of their performance looked brilliantly natural. Their sound is polished and sends tingles down the spine."
"For me, Kyte had real stage presence. They sumptuous soundscapes they create are breathtaking. I can't stop listening to them now!"
The Beat on BBC Radio Leicester (104.9FM, Dab and Online), BBC Radio Nottingham (103.8, 95.5 and 95.1FM, 1584 AM & DAB) BBC Radio Derby (104.5FM, 95.3FM and 96FM) and BBC Radio Lincolnshire (94.9FM and 104.7FM) between 18:00 - 22:00 every Saturday.
Competition Terms and Conditions
1. The BBC's code of conduct for competitions applies to this competition. You can read more about it here:
BBC Competitions Policy
2. Entry is open to all solo/duo musicians and bands who fulfil the following criteria:
• every member of the act must be over 16 as at Friday 13 August 2010; and
• at least one member of the act must be a resident of the East Midlands (Nottingham, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Rutland and East Staffordshire); and
• the band must not have played the main stage at the Summer Sundae Festival in any previous year or be booked to play the festival this year; and
• no member of the act should be a BBC employee or any person connected to the competition or their close relative.
Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested.
3. To enter the competition, one member of the act must complete the entry form that be found on the following website:
The act member completing the entry form must have the permission of all other act members to enter the competition and all act members must be available to perform at the Summer Sundae Festival on Friday 13 August 2010.
The act member completing the entry form must provide their name, contact telephone number and contact email address.
4. As part of the entry form, the act member must also provide a hyperlink/website address for a webpage which contains a video of the act performing live their own original music. The act members that can be seen performing on the website must be the same as the act members who will perform at the festival if selected.
The act member completing the entry form must ensure that the lyrics of the music on their website (and their performance should they be should they be selected) does not include any material that is racist, homophobic, defamatory, offensive or in any way inappropriate. The music and performance must be suitable to be broadcast to BBC audiences of all ages.
5. The competition opens on Thursday 29 July 2010. Entries received before this date will not be considered.
6. Entry is via the online entry form which can be found at the following website:
. This is the sole means of entry.
7. Closing date for entries is Tuesday 3 August 2010. Submissions received after this time will not be considered, so please do not wait until the last minute to upload your entry. Entries will not be returned so please remember to keep a copy. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
8. Only one entry per act is permitted. If you submit more than one entry, only the first entry received will be considered.
9. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The BBC accepts no liability if entrants ignore these rules and entrants agree to fully indemnify the BBC against any claims by any third party arising from any breach of these rules.
10. Entries must not contain defamatory, obscene, offensive or any other unsuitable material.
11. Entrants retain the copyright in their entries but grant to the BBC a non-exclusive licence to broadcast their entry across all media, as well as use it on any online platforms.
12. Entrants permit the BBC to edit or change entries in any way it may in its sole discretion consider necessary for the purposes of use in the competition and the uses set out in clause 11 above.
13. By entering the competition, entrants warrant that they have legal capacity to enter the competition and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
14. The performance by the winning artist may be broadcast on television, radio and used on-line. A selection of entrants may also be interviewed by the BBC and these interviews may also be broadcast on TV and used on-line. This will not be a part of, or have any influence on, the judging process.
15. Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
• Quality of playing/singing
• Stage presence/energy of the performance
• Suitability of the material to the Summer Sundae Festival
16. Entries will be judged through the following process:
A panel of judges will review all entries and will select a winner based on the criteria outlined above.
17. The winner will be contacted by a member of the BBC production team on 6 August 2010. If the winner cannot be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made to do so, the BBC reserves the right to offer the prize to the next best entry.
18. The prize will consist of the opportunity to play a 30 minute opening set at the Summer Sundae Festival at Montfort Hall, Leicester on 13 August 2010. The set performed by the winning act at the Festival must consist of 27 minutes of original material and must not include more that 3 minutes of cover versions of commercially released music. The prize does not include any costs such as travel and accommodation. The prize is as stated and cannot be deferred or transferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
19. The names of each entrant whose entry is broadcast or used on-line will be made public. Entrants must agree to take part in any post-competition publicity if required.
20. The BBC's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted.
21. The BBC reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaches any of these Terms and Conditions or to withhold or withdraw a prize if in its opinion entries do not reach the required standard.
22. The BBC reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions or cancel this competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside its control. In this event, a notice will be posted on the
23. The BBC, its sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any server, Internet access, system, the post or otherwise which may result in any entry being lost or not properly registered or recorded. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
24. These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.