An exhibition of photographs relating to Leicester's slums, c1840-c1970, collected by author Ned Newitt, can been seen at Leicestershire Record Office until Friday 27 November 2009.
Cramant's Yard at the rear of 54 King Street, circa 1984. These are the only courtyard slums in Leicester to have survived to the present day. In 1984, they became listed buildings and were refurbished.
A woman fills a tin bath from a well lagged common tap, circa 1954. Although this photo is not labelled, it is likely that it was taken in the Wharf Street area.
People sitting out in the street for air during hot weather outside no 26 Lower Grove Street , probably in the summer of 1937. The tenants were re-housed later that year, and the houses demolished in February 1938.
The rear of Court B, Caroline Street. The Belgrave Gate gas works can be seen in the background with gasometer and overhead transporter. This yard was common to 14 houses, with one water tap and five toilets for the joint use of all the tenants.
Blue Boar Lane in 1938, looking from Great Central Street towards High Cross Street.The three storey houses on the left were built with single brick walls. These houses were demolished in 1938 and the tenants re-housed on Windford Crescent.
The junction of Calais Hill and Calais Street looking from Dover Street and the Dover Castle pub towards the turn into Dunkirk Street. Note the slaughterhouse on the right. Today, the Dover Street car park is on the left of the picture.
Russell Square was at the heart of the Wharf Street area. This photo shows the junction with Bedford Street and Woodboy Street in the early 1950s. Today, the lavatories are gone and Russell Square is cut off from the city centre by a dual carriageway.
Lead Street at its junction with Metcalf Street, the junction with Carley Street is in the distance. When these houses were demolished in the mid 1950s, St Matthews Estate was built on a new road layout and these streets have disappeared.
The rear of White Street which lay in the older part of town which is now covered by the Highcross Centre. The one up, one down houses in the yard were served by a common tap adjoining the only gully for all the yard drainage and foul water.
What are these?