The Great Filling Hall was made a Grade II listed building in 1974
The old vinegar works, in the Lowesmoor area of Worcester, is one of the most distinctive buildings in the city.
The Grade II listed building has been converted to become the Territorial Army's local training centre and headquarters.
The Great Filling Hall building dates back to the mid 19th century, when Hill, Evans & Company were the biggest producers of vinegar in the world.
The area, once the industrial heart of the city, is being redeveloped.
- William Hill and Edward Evans, two chemists, founded their company in 1830.
- The Great Filling Hall was built in the 1850s and was linked to the nearby Shrub Hill station by its own branch line, which opened in 1872. You can find out more about this line on the
Malvern Industrial Archaeology Circle
- For a century, it was biggest vinegar works of its kind in the world, according to the Worcester City museum.
- The works produced nine million litres (two million gallons) of malt vinegar every year.
- The Great Filling Hall contained the world's largest vat, which was 12m (40 ft) high and could hold, 521,287 litres (114,821 gallons).
- The company also produced British wines, sherry and port, as well as quinine, which people drank to try and combat malaria.
- The works closed in 1965.
- The Great Filling Hall was made a Grade II listed building in 1974.