Linking Worcester to Malvern by rail meant some big engineering projects, including a 855m (935 yards) long viaduct, with 68 arches.
The original bridge over the River Severn at Worcester failed a safety inspection, and for nine months passengers had to walk across it. It was replaced in 1904.
Great Malvern station still looks much the same as it did in 1860, when the line from Worcester reached it.
The Imperial Hotel, now a girl's boarding school, was built alongside Great Malvern station, to cater for visitors arriving by train.
The hotel was linked to the station by a special tunnel, known locally as 'The Worm'. It is now derelict and may be demolished.
An ornamental bridge crossed the railway line at Great Malvern station, carrying The Avenue - a tree-lined road to the centre of the town.
For the line to reach Hereford a tunnel had to be built under the Malvern Hills. The orginal was dug by hand and is no longer in use. The entrance can be seen on the right hand side of this picture.
A second, bigger, tunnel was built in the 1920s, and the old tunnel was closed. It was used to store munitions in WWII, and is now the home to a colony of rare bats.
A second tunnel was needed just outside Ledbury, and the one from the 1860s is still in use today.
The tunnel emerges from the hills just before Ledbury station.
A second railway viaduct had to be built at Ledbury - it has 31 arches and is 301m (330 yards) long.
What are these?