The Royal and Ancient Clubhouse at St Andrews was built in 1854 with extensions and alterations taking place over the years.
The Challenge Belt, the prize when the Open was first played in 1860. The belt was bought by Prestwick Golf Club where the first twelve Opens were played. Tom Morris Junior gained possession of the belt in 1870 after a trio of Open victories.
The Claret Jug replaced the Challenge Belt as trophy for The Open Championship when Tom Morris Junior won the belt outright after a trio of victories. First presented in 1873, the original Claret Jug, above, is kept in a trophy cabinet at the club.
A painting of Tom Morris Senior by Sir George Reid, dating from 1903. The painting, owned by the club, hangs in the Big Room. Tom Morris was Prestwick Keeper of the Green and won The Open four times. He lost the first Open in 1860 by two strokes.
The Calcutta Cup and the Silver Club. The cup was sent to The R&A in 1882 by the Calcutta Golf Club for an annual competition. The Silver Club's origins date back to an annual challenge introduced in 1754. Captains append a silver ball to the club.
A gutta percha golf ball held at The Royal and Ancient Golf Club. The gutta percha balls replaced feather balls as they were more durable and had an improved run. Gutta percha is a type of rubber, first used for golf balls in the 1840s.
A painting of The Great Triumvirate (Harry Vardon, James Braid and JH Taylor) by Clement Flower dating from 1913. The painting, owned by the club, hangs on the wall on the way to the club's dining room.
A display of unusual golf clubs held in The Royal and Ancient Golf Club.
Lockers in the Big Room at the club. The lockers are now mainly ornamental as there is a locker room elsewhere in the club.
A stained glass window in the Royal and Ancient Golf Club trophy room.
What are these?