A clip from A Place Called Home
Ilford Park opened in September 1948 - one of 45 hostels across Britain set up to house the 200,000 exiled Poles who had fought alongside the Allies.
Built 60 years ago, at its peak the site was home to 600 exiled Polish people.
In 1966 BBC South West made a documentary about the camp and you can watch two archive clips on this page.
The original inhabitants moved to a purpose-built care home on the 41-acre site in 1992.
The camp became a real home from home for the residents and became known locally as Little Poland.
Demolition work is now under way to clear the remaining old buildings on the site which should be completed in January 2010.
The residents of Ilford Park tend to their animals
When American Caroline Nicholson realised bulldozers were going to demolish the former Polish settlement camp at Ilford Park, she moved in.
Armed with a fluorescent jacket, Caroline has combed the site salvaging all the memorabilia she can find.
BBC Devon's piece
about Caroline and listen to her talk about the project.