There is no town called Woodspring and the constituency name was taken from the local government district created in 1974 which has since been abolished.
This seat is largely rural and accounts for some 58% of the population of the North Somerset council area. The Victorian town of Clevedon is Woodspring’s largest town. Its economy is largely dependent on commuters, with a large proportion working in Bristol and with its position on the M5 it has become a centre for distribution and light industry.
The other major conurbation, Nailsea, was at the centre of the North Somerset coalfield in the nineteenth century and was also famous for its glass. Sinking into rural tranquillity at the end of the 1800s the then village was identified by Somerset County Council as the site of a dormer town for Bristol in the 1950's. The town has since grown from a small village of a few thousand to a town of 18,000.